Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Vaccines/Titers

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Vaccines/Titers

My result for Varicella titer came back negative. I do not have history of Chickenpox. I was given 2 Varicella vaccines in 2004 (couple of months apart). I need to show proof to my school that I have positive titer result for Varicella. I do not have medical insurance. What should I do? Can I get re vaccinated? In my case, is it possible to have no immunity even after getting vaccines. Please Help. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

There are a small percentage of people who may not have an immune response to the varicella vaccine after two doses of the vaccine. Or, it is possible that your immunity has waned over the last 8 years.

However, you might consider repeating the Varicella titer to make sure that the titer is truly negative.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.