Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
WBC 20, Petechiae, Fatigue

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

WBC 20, Petechiae, Fatigue

Dear Doctor,
I had a WBC of 20 and pinpoint rashes on my legs and an itchy rash under my skin- I've been exhausted for 2 years now.  What could this possibly be (something from Indonesia?)
my stool test showed charcot leyden crystals which could be an amoeba or ascaris worms
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Yes. The presence of charcot leyden crystals is associated with parasitic disease.

Did you have your stool tested for ova and parasites? This testing should be done on at least three separate occasions.

Yes. You could have acquired a parasite while traveling in Indonesia.

What other testing have you completed? Liver function tests? Are you anemic (low hemoglobin/hematocrit or low red blood cells)?

What does your healthcare provider believe is going on?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
I had slightly low RBC once and AST/ALT in the 90s and 70s 3 times and blood in my stool, feeling of movement in my rectum.  I have hemmarhoids but the bleeding has stopped
thanks so much!  still suffering from wheezing and suffocating in my sleep
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again,

The ALT/AST values that you mentioned are 4 times normal and should be evaluated by a healthcare provider to determine the cause.

In your posting, you mentioned "wheezing and suffocating in my sleep".

Do you have asthma?

Are you overweight or obese?

Do you snore loudly?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
thanks very much!
I have really bad sleep apnea and weigh about 190 with BMI 24.  I don't know how I got these strange health problems in my early 30s.  I'm always exhausted and have memory problems, asthma, wheezing when I exhale.  The chest xrays have been clear
thanks so much!
they found charcot leyden crystals in my stools and I read it could be ascaris or amoebas.  I underwent IV flagyl/cipro but I still wheeze can't breathe in my sleep have some itchy rash on my back and front

it is really difficult to be crippled by the breathing problems and cognitive impairment.  I have to take prednisone to sleep and it causes neuron damage
the 2 or 3 stool tests were negative for par/ova.  I don't know how the crystals could be asthma though since the doctor said they are digested in the GI tract
I take all of the inhalers regularly but still can't be healthy.... it is terrible to lose my brain function