Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
What are my Chances??
About This Forum:

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What are my Chances??

Hi,
     I am a 22 year old female and I have not been on a plane since 1995.  I am trying to get myself to get back on one, especially since I am planning a trip to FL from MA next month.  I have traveled it by car several times since the last time I flew without a problem, but I have developed this fear of becoming airsick from flying, even though I have never had a problem with that in the first place, and is now keeping me from wanting to get back onto a plane.  From what I remember of the last times I flew on a plane, I remember at least somewhat enjoying it. Since then, I have developed a general fear of vomiting that I believe has come about due to not vomiting at all throughout the last 15 years or so.  So, it's not like I am prone to motion sickness or anything.
     So, I guess my question is how likely or how common is it for people to become airsick in the first place (on a 3 hour flight)?  I don't believe anyone in my immediate family has ever had a problem with this, and I have managed several 24 hour car rides with no problems.  My gut feeling is that I would be ok, but I can't get over the fear of "what if."  Do you have any suggestions?  I had started thinking and reading about taking different medications before the flight itself to help with it, so I didn't know if that was something to look into.  (Dramamine...etc)  Am I overanalyzing this?  (as I usually do)  Please help, as I would like to overcome my fear of this, and get back to a semi-normal life when it comes to traveling.  Thank you.

Cherie