Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
What do I do that there is no verorab in USA

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

I began the PEP for rabies in Ecuador and was given verorab for two doses. I would have to continue the rest doses in US. However there is no verorab here, what should I do? Can HDCV/PCEC OK to be used? which one is safer to be used with verorab?  Also considering the reason I am taking the PEP is mostly for peace of mind, is it better to just stop treatment?

Thank you very much!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The decision to begin (or continue) rabies prophylaxis/treatment is highly dependent upon the likelihood of you actually being exposed to rabies. This is a discussion that you should have with your current treating provider.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thank you Dr!