Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
dog bite

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

dog bite

I am 25 years old man. today my pet dog has bitten me.age of dog is 2 months. my dog didn't get vaccine yet.so what should i do?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn

If your puppy and pet dog has not had exposure to Rabies, then you need not be concerned about transmission of the rabies virus from your puppy to you.

Did the bite cause sufficient injury to result in bleeding or a puncture wound? And, if so, was the bite in close proximity to a joint?

As with any bite, infection should be your primary concern. You should be mindful an observant of the following symptoms: redness (erythema), swelling (edema), warmth at the location of the bite and pain. If you see any of these signs, you should consider seeking medical attention. Keep the area where the bite occurred clean and dry.

What type of puppy do you have?

Has the puppy remained indoors and/or without exposure to other animals (domestic or wild) since birth?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.