Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
possibility on getting tetanus

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

possibility on getting tetanus

2 days ago i  went to feed horses and steped on rusty nail from a horseshoe..it sure was painful but when i looked at my foot it was nothing but a pocked skin-i washed it and disinfected it-no blood came out even when i tried to push it from there-just a tiny red dot,i kept just in case cleaning it through with some hydrogen peroxid    ..i can't remember when did i get my last tetanus booster,and just wondering on my chances of getting tetanus,my foot hurts a little but you can barely see that red dot and i might overeacting but i read alot about tetanus,i know 1st symptoms show up from 3days to several weeks, and do start to panic a little..Can You please tell me if it seems like i could get tetanus..???Thank you in advance.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

If if has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus vaccine, then you should discuss this with a healthcare provider.

In general, it is recommended that Tetanus vaccines be given every ten years; however, if there is a potential exposure a "dirty" sharp object, then best practices are to repeat the Tetanus vaccine. If you have had a Tetanus vaccine in the last 10 years, then the decision is made on a "case-by-case" basis to repeat the vaccine. More often than not, if you have not had a tetanus in the last five years and you have a potential exposure, you will be advised to receive the vaccine.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.