Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
rabies

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

rabies

Hello;

I just finished reciveing rabies shots. They gave me at day 0 , 2 shoots  at day 7 , 1 shoot and day 21, 1 shoot.
2-1-1 regime.
First day gave me Rabipur vaccine and last dose they gave me HDC vacc. because I have had a 37.3 C fever before vaccination They did EBV and CMV tests , I am waiting results.

Now, my questions are :
-can something happen to me by changeing type of vacc( is it not going to work, or it is going to react somehow wrong or etc)
-can i get rabies by vaccination ?? ( if no why ; how come?they are injecting virus)
-can I transmitt rabies while getting PET for rabies because of vaccine, antibodies injected virus and etc, if yes/no why
by kissing, contact or intimate contact..

I am a little worried and no one worned me about that or gave me info.

thanx a lot
Avatar_dr_m_tn

1. You cannot acquire rabies from the rabies vaccine.
2. The only way for you to transmit rabies is if you have actually become infected from an exposure to the virus (from a bite or exposure to infected saliva)
3. It is a standard practice to try to complete the vaccine series with an alternative vaccine if a person has a reaction to the vaccine.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.