Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
side effects of TB drugs

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

side effects of TB drugs

My wife is taking RIMSTAR for active TB. She did not have the common symptoms of TB but MT result was more than 17mm. After the medicine she feels drowsy and become insane. Is there any drug to stop this side effect. She is diabetic and also taking pyrodoxine with RIMSATR. Doctor please help me.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Could you confirm the active ingredients in the RIMSTAR that your wife is taking?

Ethambutal?
Pyrazinamide?
Isoniazid?
Rifampicin?

Can you describe what you mean by "insane"? What are some examples of what she is doing or saying?

Does your wife have problems with her kidneys? Sometimes, person's with diabetes have kidney problems and kidney problems can effect the way medications are metabolized and excreted from the body.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thanks doctor. The "Rimstar" my wife is taking is composed of RIFAMPICIN 150 mg, ISONIAZID 75mg, PYRAZINAMIDE 400mg & ETHAMBUTOL 275mg. In addition she is also given Pyridoxine HCL 25mg. She feels hypoglycemic and talks irrelevant regarding different home care matters like what care has to be taken for my daughter what about my fathers medicare? blah blah blah.... For your kind information she is diabetic for a year but sugar was under full control for the last 8 months.
No, she don't have kidney prob. with this medicine after half an hour she gets hypoglycemic. She was on diet what I requested her to stop immediately. Now she complains about disliking on wet foods like rice or red meat or fish curries.