Trigeminal Neuralgia Expert Forum
facial pain

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Trigeminal Neuralgia, Pain Management, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Surgery and Treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

facial pain

I had a lower facelift 11 months ago.  I've had pins/needles pain on both sides of the face constantly -mainly the lower cheeks and temple area.  Could this be from compression of the marginal branch of the trigeminal nerve and be a form of atypical trigeminal or facial pain?  Could scar tissue or a neuroma from a surrounding nerve be agitating the nerve?  I also have tinnitus in my right ear that came after this surgery.  How should I address this issue?  I believe I've given it enough time to heal.  Do I need an MRI or nerve testing?  Wouldn't you feel this is correctable with the right approach, as this was a controlled operation and not a trauma as in an accident?  There are certain pressure points that I can press to make it feel better, but the pain will always start again.  I feel like I am moving something around that wants to resolve, but without surgical intervention there can be no correction.  Thank you for any input.
In general, trigeminal neuralgia is a unilateral disease and occurs because of abnormalities of the trigeminal nerve near the brainstem.  If you're having pain, I would suggest that you follow-up with your surgeon first.  If he/she is not helpful, I would recommend seeing a neurologist to help you.