Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
DMSO

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

DMSO

I am writing in behalf of my wife.  My wife has wrestled with trigeminal neuralgia for 7 or 8 years.  After years of trying everything with a neurologist she had first gamma knife surgery and then microvascular decompression surgery.  About 80% of the pain has been resolved.  Every now and then she will have an excruciating flare up of sorts.  We have searched for ways to arrest these episodes before they get going with mixed results.  Ambesol on the teeth helps a little.  Capsaicin on the face and lips and on the side of the nose helps also.  Lately I read about the use of DMSO (human strength) for pain including that of trigeminal neuralgia.  I understand that traditionally this is used as a pain leniment in the field of veterinary medicine.  My wife has used this on all the places where pain shows up- lips, cheeks, side of the nose and over toward the ear.  As she has described it the results have been miraculous and you can tell only minutes after it is applied.  I am curious as to whether there is any downside to using this leniment?  We apply it using cotton and dabbing on the face.  Have yet to use it inside the mouth as we don't know if this is advisable.  I am no salesman of DMSO nor do I spend anytime dealing with "quackery".  Is DMSO safe for human use and are there any precautionary measures which should be taken?
DMSO is an extremely powerful anti-inflammatory. The only type used should be MEDICAL GRADE. It is NOT used as a linament. It is applied by itself over a cleansed skin surface. There is no such thing as "human stength". Only industrial grade and medical grade,  The skin should be thoroughly washed and RINSED, and the substance applied with a one-time use sterile swab. The face is not a good place to put it because make-up is used on the face and DMSO will dissolve whatever impurities it is in contact with and they will end up in the bloodstream. It is NOT necessary to use DSMO directly over the area where you want it to work. It does through the entire body within minutes. DSMO should NOT be used over an area area where you used capsaican. At least this is not recommended. The main problem is the dissolving of whatever is on the skin and putting it into the bloodstream. I know physicians and chemists who have used it for over twenty years without side effects. Whether or not there are long term effects from DSMO itself is an open question.