Facial numbness
Hi about a year and a half ago i was celebrating the christmas season with my family. parents, brothers and kids ect. Although it was a lovely time it was also an very stressfull time. My brother kids are wild and scream constantly. Anyway i was so stressed out one day i felt as if my head was going to pop. I had the weirdest thing happen, something in the right side of my temple felt as if it pinged. From there i had a very sore ear, went to the dr there he said it was an ear infection, gave me antibiotics. I the got on a 7 hour filght and the days that followed weren't good. My jaw started to hurt, my teeth hurt when i ate and brushed my teeth. It even hurt to talk. Then slowly a numbness started to spread from my right temple to my chin. Also the inside of my mouth, teeth, gums and tongue are numb. I have been for various blood tests, a spinal tap and 3 mri's nothing came back. I went to a specialist that thought it was tmj, then a different jaw specialist that said nothing to do with my jaw . A neurolagist couldn't figure it out and told my just to think of my cup as half full!!! I have seen a few specialist that more or less threw their hands up. The only dr that has given me a somewhat resonable answer was an oral pathologist. She said i have Atypical trigeminal neuralga and put me on these drugs that quite frankly make me high. I'm hoping this isn't it for me. The horrible sensations  feel in my face ever min on every waking hour is so frustrating and it never goes away. I am going to see yet another specialist to hopefully get some answers.Has had anything similar or think they have any suggestions to help please
Forgot to mention i also have a feeling of fullness in my ear and also when i eat the numbess gets worse
I suspect temporal arteritis because of the way it seemed to start, but here is a list of possibilities:  

http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/multiple-symptoms?symptoms=hearing-loss%7Cnumbness-or-tingling%7Cnumbness-or-tingling%7Cpain-or-discomfort&symptomids=116%7C164%7C164%7C1&locations=4%7C5%7C8%7C8  

I would be interested to hear what it turns out to be.  
One suggestion is to keep a journal of the sensations or pain you are feeling, when they occur, are there triggers (eating for example), how long it lasts, how it feels (stabbing, continuous), what medications you're on and when do you take them.

Another comment is that a lot of us in this community have had to go to a variety of doctors before we found one that can diagnose and treat us. So don't give up.

When you go to this specialist it's a good idea to have all your info and all your questions written down. The medications that control pain can cause us to forget things and I've always found it helpful to have my list with me, so I don't forget what I need to discuss.

Let us know how it goes,
Nancy
Thank you i really appreciate your advice
I am presently experiencing the exact same symptoms as you have described....it is going on two weeks and I am about to lose my mind....my doctor has diagnosed it as Trigeminal Neuralgia and has put me on a regime of cortisone for the next 12 days with hopes that it will reduce the numbness...Have you had any luck so far????? (Before this I was in good health never any problems....apart from stress....this is when it seemed to happen....)
Hi so far i haven't had any luck:( How are your shots helping?
Today is the 5th day of prednisone (pills) and seems to have worked a bit....no more numbness in ear, less numbness in tongue...but not at all what I had expected...and it is decreasing dose...so I guess time will tell.....
I have significantly less pain though....that helps.....
Prednisone will only suppress the symptoms, not treat. Neuralgia can be treated with vitamin B12. Try the intramuscular shots and then a constant dose daily via oral sublingual tablets and see how you feel in 2 weeks. I use it for neuralgia anywhere in the body as well as cognitive decline and digestive health.