Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Horrible pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

Horrible pain

Hello Everyone. After numerous trips to several Dentist's over the last two years. My last Dentist said there is absolutely nothing wrong with your teeth. I'm pretty sure you have Trigeminal Neuralgia. Make an appoint with a neurologist. Make the appointment. It's march 14. ugh.. Over the last several years i have had face pain. It's always the right side and it would come on after washing my face,putting on lotion and brushing my teeth. It felt like a tooth but i funny thing was i could not tell if it was in upper or lower. felt like both. The pain would come and go. Sometimes i would get a jolt. But the pain was manageable. But after last Dentist visit 5 days ago. With her picking on each tooth. I have been in constant pain. It's still mostly right side.Every time i talk, eat, open my mouth, move my tongue I have pain. Even if i don't move its always numb.and it tingles. Sometimes the numbness is in my neck. It get worst as the day goes by. I'm trying to wait for my neurologist appointment But the pain is Horrible I'm taking advil 3 and 4 at a time. Like taking candy No Help. What do you think? I have been on differnt Meds I have a long history of horrible feet pain also. I just can't hardly stand this pain. It hasn't  gone away for a second. Makes me so mad that i can't find a Neurologist untill the middle of March. Does this sound like TN?
It very well may be Trigeminal Neuralgia.  However, this is a disease they diagnose by ruling everything else out and by listening to the patient describe the symptoms.

The TN nerve has three branches and the two branches that run along your upper and lower jaw areas have little sub-branches that run to every single tooth.  That's why it presents like a toothache sometimes at first.

The pain medication used for TN are anti-seizure meds.  Advil and Ibuprofen won't help if its TN.  

Can you make an appointment with your primary care doctor?  Then perhaps he/she could diagnose and give you the proper pain medication.  You'll still want to see the neurologist, but you may be able to get some pain relief and get some of the initial tests out of the way.

My advice would be to keep a pain journal -- what type of pain?  stabbing, sharp, aching, burning?  What triggers the pain?  Brushing your teeth, washing your face, chewing?  How long does the pain last?  Sometimes when you are first experiencing TN it SEEMS like all the time, but in reality its short bursts -- it just overwhelms.

A pain journal can help your doctors in the diagnosis process.

In the meantime, sometimes warm compresses help.  An over-the-counter med like Ora-Gel can be rubbed on your gums to numb the pain for a while.

If it gets really bad, you could always go to Urgent Care or an Emergency room.

Take care and let us know how you're doing.
Nancy