Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Lyrica does it work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

Lyrica does it work

I have been prescribed Lyrica please can anyone tell me How soon should I expect to get relief. I'm in so much pain at the moment it doesnt seem to have made helped at all.
thanks
A few questions to help get a better answer for you Tuffycup. How long have you been taking the Lyrica? I am assuming that your doctor prescribed you at the lowest dose and you gradually increased it. You may need to ask for a higher dosage at some point if you don't find relief and can tolerate the side effects. According to the Lyrica website you could feel relief as soon as one week, but for some people it may take longer. It also depends on how high your dosage is right now. Like every treatment, everyone is different. Lyrica was not for me. I would be grateful if someone on the forum would add to this post with their Lyrica experiences.
Tuffycup, please tell us what dosage you are currently at and how long you've been on it so we can best advise you. Keep in mind we are not medical experts, only fellow TN patients like yourself.
Take care.
Thankyou painterchic

Yes a low dose of 50 mg to start. I have only taken them for a week, so sounds like I haven't allowed enough time then? I suppose it was too much to expect results so soon but you know how it is with this 'torcher' my patience is running short.
To find out if Lyrica was working, I left off my usual OTC painkillers ..Oh! what a joy that was! :-( as I climbed the walls!.... I have started to take them again now I know they dont do much but they do take the edge off. Hopefully Lyrica will kick in soon.
Thanks for your reply  

Hang in there... Hopefully your doc says you can up the dosage soon! I'd call and ask if you can combine the Lyrica with other pain meds until you get to your max.

Feel better soon :)
I have been on Lyrica for fibromyalgia for years now and dosage have been increasing ever since. It doesn't help me at all despite the increase in strength and now, with a concoction of pain candies and patches. The withdrawals and side effects are way worse so I al getting off them now.