Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Need suggestions for decent oral hygeine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

I have MS and periodically experience facial numbness and pain.  Fortunately, this pain hasn't gotten too severe or lasted too long in my case.  The bouts I have fill me with empathy for those of you who suffer long and hard from TN.  I do take gabapentin on a regular basis and get a lot of pain relief with that.  My biggest problem is actually a lack of good oral hygiene.  

Multiple autoimmune diseases (and the drugs I take to help control them) cause my mouth to be dry - so I tend to get more cavities.  I have a hard time brushing my teeth for very long because the MS causes my hand and arm to fatigue before I can brush well.  My daughter bought me a Sonicare but I can't tolerate the vibrations - not even the low level it allows during the initial training period.

I've had limited success with a low-end electric toothbrush I got but need more suggestions about how to keep my teeth clean!  Anyone around here ever try a water pik?  I know they aren't bushes but I'd love to know if they help in a noticeable way.  I'm open to any and all ideas.  I want to (and need to) get my teeth and gums cleaner but I can't risk teasing the face pain into getting worse by using an overly aggressive device.

Anyone here have a similar problem?  Anyone found a solution?
If twopack by chance means cigarettes, quitting would be the most important thing.  

There is at least one brand of neem toothpaste, and can you floss?  There is a tea tree floss I've seen.  
My username has nothing to do with smoking.  I'm not a smoker.

I can floss some (front teeth) but a hyperactive gag reflex prevents much flossing of my back teeth.  What is neem toothpaste?