Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Strange nerve damage symptoms with no pain after dental implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

Hello
Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, but I am really searching for some help to control my symptoms and any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

I have had four dental implants over a period of four years (one lower, three upper) and had not problems with any until recently.  After placement of an upper pre molar implant last October I noticed a very strange taste in my mouth and strange sensation on my face and in my mouth.  It was difficult to describe, but I went back to the dental surgeon who assured me that the implant had been placed properly and there was no infection which could cause a strange taste.   As there was no pain, there was no nerve damage he also said.   This taste has stayed with me since October and affects everything I eat and drink.  I mainly feel the taste on the tip of my tongue and behind my front teeth.  Sometimes is is a bitter, acrid, vile taste, chemical and medicinal, almost like I imagine poison would taste.  Or really vile medicine.  Nothing will shift it, and it just makes me feel ill.    Other times it is (strangely) menthol, minty, like I have been eating Vicks vapour rub. (I now understand that with nerve damage, it is actually a sensation of altered taste as perceived by the brain, rather than an actual taste in the mouth.)   Now this is where it gets weird,  because in addition to the menthol taste, I also have the sensation of menthol vapours around my face and head, even my eyes sting. I also have extremely cold sensations on my skin. Mainly my face and the backs of my arms and hands, but today I had the sensation on my thighs and fronts of my shins. It is like a 'cold sunburn'.  I am aware how this sounds, as I am talking about cranial nerve damage, but perhaps the vagus nerve can be affected too and I know it innervates the whole body)  

I have no actual pain, which I know neuralgia sufferers get.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
Many thanks
D
Have you gotten a second opinion on the implant?  Or seen a neurologist?  It definitely seems like something's not right and while it doesn't sound like TN, there are a lot of little nerve endings near the teeth and gums.

Let us know what's happening and take care,
Nancy
I have has the same thing the last couple of days, except not with the taste aspect. I get a cold, menthol like sensation on my face and on and sound my eyes.that's how I found this web page. I googled it but have found no answers yet.
The Trigeminal Nerve has three major branches and many little sub-branches  that touch many parts of the face.  There's an online version of Gray's Anatomy that has some great drawings of all the branches and sub-branches of the nerve.  Here's the link:

http://www.bartleby.com/107/200.html

I have experienced the cold sensation and other odd sensations like drooling, when I actually wasn't.

My advice would be to locate a Facial Pain Specialist. These docs deal with all varieties of facial pain.  Keep a journal of the symptoms you experience -- how long it lasts, description of how it feels, etc. lots of times the diagnosis is greatly influenced by the patient's description of symptoms.

While it might not be TN, a knowledgeable doctor can help.

http://www.bartleby.com/107/200.html