Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
TN, TMD ...Sinus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

TN, TMD ...Sinus?

I have been experiencing pain 24/7 in the upper right front triangle area of my head for several years.  Dr. not sure whether is TN or TMD. It is constant; Starts at right ear and goes to my nose.  Can also feel abnormal sensation on scalp and down to my teeth.  I do have chronic sinus issues.  Hard to decipher what's going on.  I do not have the shock-like pain.  Just constant aching/soreness.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thank you!
Trigeminal Neuralgia is a diagnosis of ruling out everything else.  

The nerve connects to many areas of your face -- your eyes, your nose, your teeth. If you google "Gray's Anatomy" and look for the book on bartlebys com, there are some detailed diagrams of the  Trigeminal nerve.

Since you have sinus problems, it's probably not unheard of that sinus pressure or problems could cause pain to radiate to all of the areas you mention.

Have you seen an ENT or had any tests?  Hopefully it is just a sinus infection. A good doctor can help you with that.

Let us know what you find out from your doctors.
Thanks so much for your reply!  Yes, I've been to ENT, a few years ago. My ears were checked, hearing tested showing slight hearing loss on certain tones.  Also, I've had more than one MRI of the head and sinuses.  Those didn't show much more than full sinuses, however, I really feel that a nerve is messed up somewhere. Also,I've had the panoramic xrays that the dentist didn't read as tmj. Family doc tried me Depakote, which I may not have taken long enough and maybe Tegretol. I have had MRI of my neck as well showing DDD and pinched nerve at c-5/c-6.  Other dx include fibromyalgia and spondylithesis at L-5/S-1 which causes constant right thigh pain.  Thank you!
Another suggestion would be to find a Facial Pain specialist or a neurologist. I went thru five doctors before I found pain relief. I hope it's not TN. That's not a fun diagnosis.

Tegretol is used to help diagnose TN by some docs. They feel if it stops your pain, then they've confirmed that it is TN.

Have you posted your question to one of the Expert areas here on this site?