Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
This is not a question but information

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

This is not a question but information

Hi, My mother has suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia  for many years. The cause of hers is a Tumor in the back of her head under her skull. She went many years undiagnosed with facial pain. She even went so far as to have teeth (molars) pulled out because they said that would help. Finally after many tests they found the Tumor with an MRI. Its not cancerous but it does grow and they can not remove it because it could cause her to become paralyzed because it is wrapped in her nerves. Then  reason I am telling you guys this is because she has found something to help with the pain that comes from Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is seizure medication. The pill that you chew and it immediately gets absorbed to help with the horrible pain. It is not a permanent solution, I actually don't know of any permanent ones but it does make a huge difference in her life. Hope this info helps at least one person, my poor mom goes through so much and I would hate for anyone else to!:(
Oh and I forgot to mention. She started out with seriously bad migraines since she was a child. I also have these and I am checked every year for tumors and cancer.
I think you are talking about Tegretol. It's considered pretty safe and somebody else in this forum mentioned it's even used to diagnose TN.
My doctor also prescribed it to see if it helped. It did not but it has not been concluded that I even have TN or that it's related to nerve problems.
I'm pretty sure that's what it is called. It's the only thing that can control her pain. The chewable ones work better than the pill ones. Once she feels the pain start she chews one and within 15 mins the pain subsides. Hope it works for you. Make sure you have an MRI its the only thing that caught my moms brain tumor. Good luck!
I think it's already too late for those of us diagnosed with TN to have good luck.  Our lives, especially those of us with Atypical TN, or other issues that cannot be resolved with surgery or other methods.  We are destined to a life of pain, and our only alternative is being doped up with medication.  Either that, or excruciating pain.  Either way, no quality of life left.  But thanks for trying.