Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Trigeminal neuritis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

Trigeminal neuritis?

Hi, I am a 45 year old woman and I have been suffering since February 2009 with burning pain throughout my head, which also includes jabbing knife like pain over my right eye, but not every day. Thepain gets so intense and I have to take Novo-Methacin to alleviate some of the pain.  I have had a ct scan and all was clear.  Now I am booked for an MRI with contrast to view the trigeminal nerves and blood vessels.  My doctor has me on 400 mg of carbomazapine and I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  How long does this medication take effect?  He doesn't know whether I have trigeminal neuritis, so it's just a guess.  Also, sometimes my scalp hurts and it feels bruised, but mostly it's in my head.  I have had a small wisdom tooth extracted to see if that was causing the problem, but no change.  I have done everything from taking advil to tylenol, fiornal, and even tyleno 3, but the only thing that seems to help is the methacin.  I get little relief throughout the day, but it seems like nothing is working.  Does anyone know or have the same symptons as me and what do  you do for it?  Please help.  Debby from Canada.  Thank you.
I took the drug you're on when I was first diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia -- it did not work for me.  The next doctor I saw said it was not strong enough and gave me the generic form of Trileptol.  We slowly increased the dosage until I was taking 600 mg - 3 times a day before the pain stopped.  

My TN pain was in both the upper and lower left jaws -- felt like a toothache -- but my dentist could never figure out which tooth was the problem, so he refused to do any procedure until we figured out where the pain was coming from.  Since I've been in a TN support group, I have found out that lots of TN patients get unnecessary dental work done when in reality it is the nerve causing the pain.  

TN pain cannot be controlled by Motrin or Tylenol.  For me, the pain was sharp, intermittent -- sometimes felt electrical going up my left nostril to my forehead.  It hurt when I brushed my teeth, washed my face, chewed food, drank cold drinks, talked, kissed.  Every once in a while I'd get the electric shock type pain and just would freeze, until the pain stopped.

If I were you, I'd contact your doctor and see if he could increase the medication or better yet, get you in for that MRI and confirm the diagnosis one way or the other.

Luckily, I found a doctor who was well versed in facial pain -- and was able to stop my pain with medication.  Then, when I asked him how we could fix this?  He suggested a Gamma Knife.  I had a Gamma Knife the end of April and am currently decreasing my drugs -- and have little to no pain.  So please know there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

There are many different surgeries that can be done, depending upon what your doctor finds via the MRI if you have TN.

The main thing is for the doctor to diagnose what the problem is and to get you on the right pain medication and dosage level.

I wish you all the best and that your pain can be resolved very soon!

Take care!