Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
can this trigeminal neuralgia cause bell's palsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

My husband is really struggling. 7 days ago he started having severe pain inside his head, right side, and then along side that, pain on the outside of his head reaching from the base of his head up to the top. He had a cat scan 5 days ago and it was clean. That night he couldn't blink his eye and his mouth was drooped. We went to the emergency room where they diagnosed Bell's Palsy and put him on prednesone and a Lortab. Today, we went back to another doctor as everything I have read about Bell's Palsy does not include this extreme pain. Somewhere in the records was a mention of trigeminal neuralgia. Could that be the root of his issues and causing the bell's palsy? His moral is getting worse by the day. They doubled his dose of Lortab and added Lyrica and we are to go back tomorrow to see if there is any improvement. He also has severe pain in his right ear and on the outside of his ear. He says this all started out with a sore throat and then ear pain. He thought he might be getting an ear infection. Please help!
If it is trigeminal neuralgia than the Lyrica should help.
Twice a day , in 12h interval s, 75 mg in my experience kills it.
There is another killer: GABApentin which actually works on the same biochemical route. In my case it was less effective. However it is very personal
trigeminal neuralgia is so very close to bells palsy same family,(nerves )i have the face pain as well lyica is yr best answer 150mg twice a day.trust me when i say this stress makes it so much worst so try hard to keep him calm (not easy i know) but the only good thing is that its not life threatening.Some days its real bad then some times u think its gone,but poof its back keep the faith
I had suferred intermittent fatigue after a suspected case of glandular fever around 10 years ago.  2 years ago after sinusitis I woke inthe night to agonising pain down my head in my ear then numbness down the right hand side of my body into my hands, leg foot and toes.  Slowly my face paralysed on the right.  I was diagnoed with Bells Palsy given steroids for 2 weeks.  The paralysis stopped but the pain didnt.  I have been given pregablin for the pain the now it s a cocktail of that plus duloxitine daily.  The pain flares episodically and anxiety and depression usually preceede it.  Fatigue is a problem.  I have daily eye pain.  I have episodes of vertigo, twitching on the whole right side, loss of taste and smell.

Bit of a mouthful I know but my condition is a mystery.  I am now awaiting an mri and maxilofacial department of the hospital say I am a case for neurology.  On a daily basis I have constant burning and pins and needles but most days it builds into a gnawing pain with extreeme fatigue.  Total mystery.  I have no answers just a very frustrated employer as the last attack resulted in a 6 week absence!!!  

I am a 36 year old single mother of 2 by the way.  I hope your husband finds a good combination of medicine to ease his pain.  It is a horrible experience. Helen x