Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

medication

Ive just starting taking carbamazepine and was just wondering how long it takes before the medication starts to have any affect??
I for one cannot speak for this drug. I had an allergic reaction to it. You can see the photos I posted. For me, it took the edge of slowly but never took the pain away. I had better luck with Lyrica. Everyone is different. For many, it is a miracle drug. I hope this is the case for you! But it also depends on why you are taking it. Is it for TN or other reasons? That may make a difference. I am assuming TN since you are on this forum. And you are so young, I am so sorry! (Another one for the "not just for old people" club.)
I do know that you have to slowly increase your dose and my doctor and some friends told me that 7-10 days was in the ballpark to start to evaluate it's effectiveness.
My main advice: listen to your body. Don't drive until you know how it effects you. Stay off Facebook while on it, Tegretol posts and texts are socially threatening, lol. Kidding. well, kind of.

Basic Info: (from www.drugs.com)
Tegretol
Generic Name: carbamazepine (oral) (kar ba MAZ e peen)
Brand Names: Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Hope it works for you!
J

Haha, thanks and yeah it is for trigeminal neuralgia :(

Wish it wasn't. Read your other posts too. Hope you get some answers, and relief!
J

I have also been diagnosed with TN, the disease is HORRIBLE. I'm in so much pain it seems like everyday. I was on neurontin, but after a week the pain was worse. I was also thrown on doludids, alot of help that crap was, seems as if nothing will help. I have also been put on carbamazepine (600mg) a day. I was on 400 until just yesterday when I went back to the emergency room for severe pain. I was up all night screaming. Do you happen to know if baclofen will help. I have also been put on this med as well. Thanks!
I am sending you my most sincere positive energies to you right at this moment toocute2b4gtn. I feel your pain, and I know that you will find comfort for it soon. Hang in there, pray, meditate, relax as much as possible until then.
My doctor confirmed yesterday, 8/27/2012 that I do have trigeminal neuralgia on the left side of my face.  She prescribed Tegretol 200mg to start.  I was supposed to start last night however I am a little scared of what kind of side effects I will experience from this medication.  I left a message for my doctor to call me back as I would like to see if I could cut the pill in half to take only 100mg to start.  I would appreciate if you or someone can share their experience taking this medication.   I know that it depends on the individual as to what kind of side effects you can experience with this medication, however knowing how they were able to get through this can help prepare me and ease my nerves.