Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
BAC of .44 but didnt drink alot?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

BAC of .44 but didnt drink alot?!?!

yesterday I got a call that my friend would not wake up.  They were shaking her and hitting her - they even put her in the shower and ran cold water.  She would not budge.  When EMS came they said taht all of her vitals were fine and they took her to the hospital.  Still passed out at the hospital they took a blood test, hooked her up to IV's, sedated her and gave her a breathing tube in case she stopped breathing.  The doctor came in and told us taht everything was fine but her BAC was 0.44.  She was with her boyfriend the whole night - they had dinner with his parents and my friend had 2 glasses of wine.  Lets put aside the possibility that she chugged a ton of alcohol without him knowing... Is there any problem internally which woudl cause such a small amount of alcohol to read such a high number?
Here this might help
Endogenous or Auto Brewery Syndrome as a result of intestinal disorders
Candidiasis is a yeast infection which plagues the intestine when good bacteria are killed as a result of long term use of antibotics. Some candidiasis sufferers will feel, and appear to be, intoxicated. An unsual symptom of certain people with severe candidiasis is the presence of alcohol in the blood stream even when none has been consumed. First discovered in Japan, and called "drunk disease," this condition creates strains of candida albicans which turn acetaldehyde (which is the chemical created by sugar and yeast fermentation) into ethanol. This is a process well understood by distillers of homemade brew. These candidiasis patients whose yeast turns sugar into alcohol are chronically drunk. They have developed what is only half-jokingly called "auto-brewery syndrome".
A medical test has been developed in which, after an overnight fast, the individual is given 100 grams of pure sugar. Blood samples taken both before the sugar loading, and an hour after, are mesured for alcohol. An increase of alcohol indicates yeast "auto-brewery" intoxication. Another connection between alcohol and candidiasis has been found in a study of 213 alcoholics at a recovery center in Minneapolis. Test and questionaire results indicated that candidiasis is a common complication of alcoholism due to the combination of high sugar content in alcohol and the inability of alcoholics to assimilate nutrients. Additionally, female alcoholics with candidiasis were significantly sicker than non alcoholic women with candidiasis.
That IS high!!!! I'm surprised she'd NOT dead. How long after she stopped drinking did she go to the ER?? Is she really tiny? She would have had to have drank ALOT to get that high of a read. I don't know about the internal thing you had a question on. BUT I don't see that being right.
No
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
BAC can give false positive tests with exposure to hand sanitizers, after shave lotions, perfumes, medications, hygiene products, cosmetics, foods and other product. Breath alcohol test can give similar false positive result. Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus can cause false positive alcohol tests. Please discuss with her doctor. Take care!
A related discussion, False Blood Alcohol Concentration was started.
Do you have any more information about this study? Any scholarly reference that my doctor would read?