Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
a weird taste in my mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

a weird taste in my mouth

I have a weird taste in my mouth, what could it be?
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You are having dysguesia i.e bitter or bad taste in mouth. Bitter/bad taste in mouth is a common side effect of many medications. It could be due to infection of gums or cavities in teeth. It could also be an abnormal perception of bitter taste called dysgeusia. GERD and heart burn too cause metallic taste in mouth. Post nasal drip as in sinusitis too is a common cause. Certain dentures and artificial tooth or filling of dental cavities too give a metallic taste.
OK here are a few tips for you. Try them. They should help. Having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They help in washing away the metallic taste by producing more saliva. Brush your teeth and your tongue with a tongue cleaner at least twice in a day and surely at bedtime. It will help in lessening the metallic taste. Vit C tablets, over the counter oral mouthwashes will help fight the taste.

Soapy taste can possibly be due to the over consumption of fluoride which is commonly present in the Certain mouthwashes and toothpastes , Certain vitamins (Tri-Vi-Flor, Poly-Vi-Flor, Vi-Daylin F) , Fluoridated water & Sodium fluoride liquid and tablets. If you are using the fluoridated paste/mouthwash, then you need to avoid it for a few days and I hope you’ll feel better.

I’ll be surprised if these tips do not help. If they don’t, you’ll have to see a doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!