Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
13 year long Chronic Breast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

13 year long Chronic Breast Infection

I have had a breast infection for 13 years.  I have had 9 operations to remove the problem onlt to have it come back with a vengence.  I was 21 years old the last time I had a surgery perfomed and since then I have been having large sores appear that are filled with pus like fluid.  The sores finally become under so much pressure that they burst and drain and drain, the skin heals over the hole in my breast now and a week goes by until the next episode.  My doctor placed me on antibiotics a few months back and that didnt work.  May 30th I had neck surgery and during my stay after I was given 3 bags of antibiotics so that I wouldnt get an infection.  That didnt change this infections pattern at all.  Its been nearly 2 weeks now since the surgery and I have had 2 bouts of that one spot that erupts with infection.  After I have cleaned it up the best I can, there is a huge hole.  I cover it with sterile dressing and use hydrogen peroxide when cleaning it but NOW I am desperate.  What ever it is wasnt taken care of from the IV antibiotic therapy I was given so what should I do now?  Mastectomy is what I have been weighing?
sonyaelaine:
Have your physicians done a "culture and sensitivity" for these abcesses?
This would test the pus to see what bacteria is growing, and also which antibiotics would work to eradicate it.

When you begin to form an abcess (abscess) or a boil, you should do hot compresses as often as possible.
This increases the bloodflow to the area, to help it to heal.
It is time consuming to do this, but I have seen good results from hot compresses.

Has your doctor advised mastectomy?  That seems drastic.

Wishing you the best,
Carol

I agree with carol - that seems drastic - but I think I know how you feel.  Trying not to be personal, but are you big busted?  I am (unfortunately) and I have had this same problem for years.  I have been given doses and doses of antibiotics - to no avail.  My mom says they are cysts - and so does the doc - some say boils.  But as carol mentioned the best thing to do is to continously do HOT compresses.  #1 this will take the soreness out some and #2 it will help it come to a head sooner and start to drain.  You are doing everything that I have ever heard to do.  Keeping it clean and dry - cover with sterile gauze pad.  Problem is - if you are like me - especially this time of year it is like pulling teeth to keep my skin dry!  I also have many scars and "holes" left where it was.  It is a very embarrassing problem - I also have had a few down around my groin area - hard to walk sit or sleep - VERY uncomfortable - thought I would die before they opened!  Once I take care of all this other stuff that is going on with me, I am going to see if my ob/gyn will refer me to a dermatologist....maybe some day it'll get better.  Also, do you find that this happens more around the time of your period,  I think mine does - but that's not the only time - I just kept a log of when i had them and that happens alot around that time.  Hope you find some relief soon,  keep us posted.
I also been having chronic absesses for the past 7 years. Every episode of my absesses was bad where my whole breast would be filled with puss deep down to my pectoralis major. For every one of my episode I would have to go in for surgery for incision and drainage and would be in the hospital for weeks for antiobiotics. The antibiotic didn't help at all for me. I requested for a bilateral mastectomy and just got them both done recently. I don't know how it will be for me. My doctor had told me after the mastectomy that I had made the right choice about getting them. They found out during the surgery that I had abnormal breast ducts, which is probably the reason for my abcesses. I hope you the best.
A related discussion, Breast Infections was started.