Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
14 year old male with pain from belly button on down

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My 14-year-old son has recently started having somewhat severe pains radiating from his belly button on down into his penis.  It happens suddenly and is worsened by simple things like blowing his nose, or even standing up straight. After lying down for a while and taking it easy, the pain goes away.  Can anyone give me an idea about what this could be?  Does it sound like the symtoms (symptoms) of a hernia?
-3 Comments
does sound just like a hernia should have it checked right away
Avatar n tn
does sound like a hernia.....
my son had a hernia on his belly button and was in pain. I had severe pain  on my belly button and it was apendicitis. If they had'nt taken it out when they did it would have burst.
Sounds like appendicitis to me also.  You could have him lay flat and try to pull gently on his leg (s), if there is any discomfort then that may be a sign of appendicitis.  This is what they did to me at the ER when I went.  Hope he feels well soon!!!
Avatar n tn
I dont go to the doctor unless i know i need to, call it male ego but i just dont want to feel like a hypochondriac, but i do need some information / guidance on this topic.

The sharp pulling sensation behind the belly button i have felt before, although not as severely as i have just now and never before coinciding with an equally sharp very localized pain in the tip of my penis.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i stumbled upon this topic through googling my symptoms and found only one other related query to which there were no responses.

Thankyou.
Avatar n tn

I have had these very same symptoms as well.  I was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia, which I had repaired at the age of 17, but it did not stop these kinds of pains from happening.  I am just kind of "excited" that someone else out there has these same symptoms as I do, as I've had this for 20 years, and doctors seem to be clueless or even think I'm maybe making it up or something.  On the other hand, I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone.  It is truly awful.

The various things I have researched on my own over the years are that it might be spasms of the intestine or ureter, renal colic, or umbilical hernia (recurring in my case).  I really wish I knew.  I have been trying to figure this out for 20 years.  Fortunately for me, I get the pain much less frequently than I used to.  In my college years I would get it every few weeks, now I get it maybe once a year.

Please, anyone who knows anything about this please contribute.  There have to be others out there who have experienced this.