Abdominal pain, lower left side
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member, and came here to try to find some answers to some issues I've been facing.

I've had some abdominal pain on my left side, just below my rib cage, for about a week, and I'm wondering what it might be.  I also have recurring pain in my back, centralized in the middle of the small of my back.

The abdominal pain seems to radiate from my lower left side (more toward my belly button rather than the side, about even with my nipple), and comes and goes, with sharp pains once in a while.  If I press on the area, there isn't any tenderness.  If I try to sleep on my right side, it hurts, but if I lie on my back or left side, the pain goes away.  I've had alternating constipation and loose stools the past couple of days, but have not taken any medication for the loose stools.  I can hear frequent gugrling and bubbling from that side of my lower abdomen, and I feel bloated.  Every once in a while it feels like the pressure builds up, then there's kind of an internal "pop" and the pressure eases.  I have been burping and passing gas quite a bit as well.  

The pain is kind of a throbbing in the background, not going away, just always there.  I haven't experienced any fever, sweats, or dizziness, so I'm not really sure what it might be.  I took a Zantac this morning before breakfast, and it seems to have lessened the pain a little bit, but not a whole lot.

The back pain is also just always there.  I've tried cracking my back, but that portion of my back won't crack and hasn't for years.  I've been able to crack my neck and my upper back, but it doesn't help much.

I'm a 37-year-old male, 5'9", 195 pounds.  Non-smoker, I don't drink much (had a beer about three weeks ago), generally a healthy eater (been trying to reduce my cholesterol) eating low fat foods and lots of vegetables, 85% lean ground beef, fiber cereal.  Fairly good blood pressure according to my doctor.  I'm not taking any prescription medication, but I have been taking ibeuprophen and acetominophyn to deal with the back pain.  I'm tied to a desk most of the week, and should exercise more than I do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
In your case there is a strong chance that you have irritable bowel syndrome/stomach flu/ulcerative colitis/celiac disease/food poisoning.
Other cause are:
Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, infection in kidney, kidney stones, constipation, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle can all cause lower left abdomen pain. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. An ultrasound or CT scan of abdomen is definitely required. Aortic aneurysm too can present this way. In women other causes can be ovary involvement, ectopic pregnancy, or endometriosis.Left flank pain is generally due to kidney stones.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
Ask the doctors about IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I've had the same symptoms since I was 11. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, and the pain kept getting worse. I ended up being a vegetarian for 6 years because it was the only thing that made a difference. It was still there but not as often. When I was 18 it started again and it didn't matter what I had eaten. I'm 21 now and finally got it figured out a couple months ago. My doctor gave me Dicetel and it helps a lot. One thing I really like about it is that it's not one that needs to be taken everyday. It's just 1-3 times a day as needed, so if you are feeling fine you don't even have to take it. I also keep track of my bowel movements now and with these pills I can really tell when I have taken them and when I need to. Hope this helps a bit and I hope you figure it out soon. Take care.
After My Appendix Operation 4 years ago, I always find it difficult to sleep in d night due to the pains I feel in my left lower abdomen and this happens to me everynight. Pls do you know the problem and the cause?