Aching hands
My 34 year old daughter works on the computer all day.  By the end of the day her hands are achy and painful and we are wondering if there is anything she can do to get relief from the discomfort.

Thank you.

The symptoms are suggestive of “mouse hand”.It is an over-load condition of hand and wrist, which is caused by monotone movements and wrong position of the wrist during working with computers. Weakness of forearm muscles is promoting factor for pain development.

Other possibilities are bursitis or tendonitis(esp DeQuervain's tendonitis).

Ask your daughter to give proper rest to the hand and apply cold compresses(cold gel pack, a bag filled with ice cubes, or even a bag of frozen vegetables)on the swelling. After 48 hours, or for chronic (long-term) pain, dry or moist heat may be more helpful than cold compresses. Ultrasound (sound waves) provides deep heat to help ease some forms of tendinitis, bursitis and are useful in providing relief.Ask her to apply some anti-inflammatory analgesic(pain killer)gel or cream on the swelling.She can also take Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin or ibuprofen.Severe cases may require steroids or splints/braces or surgery.Also ask her to use two-hand mouse in future.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.