Achy back, bones and chills
My first episode was 3.5 yrs ago and at first was every 6 months, I have now had 3 episodes in last 2 months.
Starts with a dull ache in my lower back that gets more intense, the achy feeling then spreads to my hip joints (where it is most intense) and then my leg bones and back, quite often I will feel shivery.

I did see my Dr once and she said 'that sounds strange' and did not take any further action!

It is hard to 'function' when I feel like this - just want to lie down and sleep.  

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
To me it sounds like possibly a urinary or kidney infection or even stones.  You can definitely run a fever and feel shivery with a urinary or kidney infection.

Have you ever noticed any blood in your urine during these times?  Have you found anything (other than time) that has helped the sympotoms when they occur?

You may want to consider a consult with a urologist just to check things out.

Best of luck.
Do you have any symptoms that might be associated with a kidney infection? When you feel "shivery" have you checked your temp.? Any burning or blood in your urine? Also, have you checked with a neurologist to see if you might have fibromyalgia? I know these are questions instead of answers but don't know what else might be going on.