Achy calves
I am 25, fit, and active.  Every couple of weeks I get achy pain in my calves that lasts for a couple of days.  I get minor relief by stretching a bit, but the pain is worse at night and when I am sitting.  Working out, particularly biking, provides relief during excersize, but the pain returns once completed.

I also have a congenital heart defect, not sure if it could be playing a role.

Any ideas on the culprit?  
You should get checked because a CHD might throw clots which could get captured in calves.

There are other options... but you should get checked by the cardiologist for sure.

If you are female, I would consider if birth control meds or simply strong changes in a normal hormone sequence of the menstrual cycle might be causing clots.

If you are a male, or a very aggressively active female -- your routine is causing muscle strain.  You need to adjust your routine.

You are surely not stretching the muscle properly.  Perhaps a person trainer or professional massage to get it back to a more normal state.

Only go the massage route after you have ruled out clots and varicosities.

Feel better
In regard to the possible diagnosis of clot formation, I would not be too concerned. Pain induced via occulsion of bloodvessels which supply muscles is quoted to be "one of the most agonising pains known to man", to put it simply with your age and level of physical activity if the pain is induced from clot formation you would be in the hospital rolling around in pain.

Possible avenues to look at as a cause of your pain: Posterior Tibial dysfunction, tibio-fibular micro fractures, vascular issue (such as: impaired 02 to muscles when exercising, is swelling present?) or imbalances of sodium/calcium/potassium. Though the most likely causation due to relief provided with stretching and biking is an ankle equinus, due to tight gasto/soleus.

Regards

Dr Foot
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.