Acute stabbing pain behind left ankle
For approximately a month now I have been experiencing (almost daily) a sudden severe stabbing/burning pain that lasts from a few seconds to almost a minute. This pain is in the soft spot between my outside left ankle and heel. This pain happen regardless of what I am doing (sitting, standing, sleeping). I have never had any injury to this area and have not made any exercise or diet changes. I am a healthy 30 year old female and regularly take vitamins. Has anyone else had this pain in the same spot? It happens anywhere from once to 10 times now per day now and I am afraid it is getting worse. It feels like a nerve issue, not like a bone or ligament.

This discussion is related to nerve pain-ankle.
If it is warm to the touch, I would get it checked to make sure you don't have a blood clot lodged there.
I have a similar problem. Every time I wear boots that rub against my left ankle I get this sharp stabbing pain. It feels like it's a nerve. After a couple days it goes away if I stop wearing shoes that touch my ankle. The pain is so excruciating I can barely walk and I have to take my shoes off. The pain subsides, but it's still there if I even touch it gently.  It's not just one pair that does it, it's any shoes that rub against my left ankle. I am only 22 and this has been happening on and off since I was about 15. It seems like hiking boots do it the most, but I also wear them slightly tighter than other boots for stability purposes.
I've have similar issues with my left foot, a very short excruciating pain, which recurs depending on the angle of stepping; My X-rays showed nothing, so the Doc put me on asteroids-prednisone, pain-killers and antibiotics to prevent side effects of prednisone; I am also having to rest a lot, this seem to work. I will also try to get burdock root since I  certainly prefer natural treatment.