Adrenal Fatigue
I have read a book entitled Adrenal Fatigue by James L Wilson, ND, DC, PhD.  The symptoms I have (fatigue, anxiety, slow recovery from stress, low cortisol levels tested via saliva) point to this "syndrome".  Have you ever heard of Adrenal Fatigue?  Is this quackery?  Is there an established medical specialty to which I should be referred?
Many symptoms of Thyroid or Adrenal disfunction are similiar. Both suffer psychological disorders like mood swings and depression.  Coping skills and poor memory, being tired even after adaquate sleep, and others symptoms may relate to either disfunction.  When a person has symptoms of either disfunction, but don't actually "fit" the disorder profile, alternative practioners have coined "Adrenal fatigue".  This term is not a mainstream medical term.  Most doctors will tell you there is no such thing. The symptoms related to the Thyroid can be caused either by an actual disfunction of the gland, or the symptoms can be related to a deficiency of iodine in the diet. Outward signs of too much thyroid is bug-out eyes or a thickness around the base of the neck.  Too little Thyroid makes you fat around the middle, thighs and hips.  When the adrenal glands reduce or stop making hormones, the body's weight is all in the stomach.  The stomach doesn't sag below the pelvis, it just sticks straight out and is firm to the touch.  The person has no thickness in the thighs making the legs skinny and look like sticks under the stomach. Both Thyroid and Adrenal function can be tested in lab exams.  A note on Internet disorder research: If the site you are visiting for information sells ANYTHING, then don't believe the information you are getting.  The information will have some truth, but is geared to "fit" most people in order to make people believe that the product will "cure" them. They are geared to sell you something, not to help you. Every product out there will help some, and not others.  BUYER BEWARE.  good luck