Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
All of my fingernails are a reddish purple.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

The bottom part of my nails are red/purple, then there is a white strip, and at the very top there is a tiny red/purple bit. It looks like they are all bruised. I havent injured my fingers or my hands, and putting them in hot or cold water doesn't make my nails go back to a normal colour. I noticed them yesterday. Also, I am a 19 year old female if that is relevant.

I'm just wondering what could be wrong with them. Thanks in advance.
-2 Comments
wearingsocks:
The appearance of the fingernails may be a symptom of a systemic disease.

Look at these pictures and descriptions, and see if you find your problem described.

Nail Abnormalities: Clues to Systemic Disease
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040315/1417.html

If you do not know the meaning of some of the medical terms, you can look them up online....or I can check back and see if you need help.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Thanks for the page, Carol, but I couldn't find anything that sounded/looked exactly like my nails. I have also noticed I have the same problem with my toenails.

I know a better way to describe my nails. When you pinch your finger or your toe or something, and you cut off the blood circulation, the top of your finger/toe goes a red/purple colour, and the bit you're pinching goes white. That's EXACTLY what my nails look like. The only thing is that nothing is pinching my nails. My fingers and toes look fine, it's just underneath my nails.

I am a 20 year old female and I just noticed the same thing with my nails like a week ago everyone thought I was wearing a light purple nail polish. I was not cold either thats also what people were telling me.  I noticed its been a while since your first post, I was wondering if you figured anything out.
Ask your doctor if you may be developing vascular disease.  I have Raynauds Phenomenom , which is a disease that causes your veins to spasm and block blood to your hands and fingers.  Raynauds is found in many people who have some kind of autoimmune disease.   When my hands are exposed to cold or I am stressed my fingers and nails turn very purple and then white.  They eventually go back to normal.  During the color change they become numb.  Perhaps a trip to a rheumetologist might be worth it but first go to your primary doctor.  good luck
Sounds like raynaud disease have a Rheumatologist look at it.
I was at work today and using the computer mouse when I noticed that my fingernail suddenly felt funny. As if there were pressure being applied to it. I looked down and saw that my fingernails were purplish-blue at the base...slowly getting lighter until they are white and then a dark redish-purple half circle line at the end right before my finger ends and nail continues. I have been taking extra Emergency C packs lately because I am headed to a trip home to the Northeast where it is very cold and I didn't want to get sick (I live in Hawaii for the past 6months)...so I don't think I would have a vitamin deficency right now...the air conditioning is on and it was a little bit chilly, but not that cold. I don't remember this happening when I was cold before. I have been working a lot lately and have not been excersicing much...could this be a circulation issue? When I put my nails in warm water they temporarily return to normal color....
I am a 25yr old female, 5'-7", 124lbs (in truth), I have no known allergies, diseases, etc., and I don't take any medications, do not smoke.
Drink occaissionally (3-4 times per month).  

Please let me know if you have any ideas what this could be from...it seems abnormal and I am a little worried.
oh my gosh the exact same thing is happening to me. exactly how everyone has described it how its goes from purple to white and then at the end, red. this has been happening every day for the past week. im a 16 year old female if this has anything to do with it.
Did anyone ever get diagnosed? I can't believe I finally found someone with the same symptoms as myself. My nails have been the exact same for about 2.5 months. I also have swelling in my fingers every morning. I have been researching and researching and have found nothing. I have also seen 2 dermatologists that could not find anything. Nail beds that look like this are absolutely not normal in my opinion. I know this is an old post, but I am hoping someone will respond!!!

Symptoms: Purpleish blue at the base of nail (by cuticle) then white band across top of the nail (parallel to cuticle).  

Thank you!
A related discussion, red cuticles was started.