Anion Gap
I had Blood work done and  all was ok except  my Anion Gap was  a  4 .....I had blood work done  many times in the past years  because of having an underactive thyroid .Now my thyroid is ok  but My concern is this Anion Gap being so low...Please  can You advise me as to what I need to watch out for  or do.....Im 53 years old and  in pretty good shape so this is  making me  go nuts ........Thank You !
Thanks for writing to the forum!
“Unlike a high anion gap, obtaining a low anion gap is relatively rare. One of the most common causes of a low anion gap is a low albumin level (which constitutes ~80% of the unmeasured anions). Correspondingly, an increase in the number of cations, either organic (eg, paraproteins as in multiple myeloma) or inorganic (bromide, lithium, Iodine or polymyxin B) can lead to low anion gap values. A decreased anion gap is also seen in multiple myeloma where the increased negatively-charged immunoglobulins interact with and bind cations in the blood.” Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anion_gap
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!