Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Ankle sprain/nerve injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Ankle sprain/nerve injury

I sprained my ankle over a month ago.  I have been doing exercises with the band that i remember from when Ive sprained it in the past.  I have also noticed that on the anterior side of the ankle, just above and to the front of the bone that sticks out, whenever i run my fingers across I feel a tingling sensation on the top of my foot to about the toes.  I don't know if this happened before or after the ankle sprain.  I received the sprain by landing short, (leaning too far forward on a landing).  Now it hurts whenever I put pressure on it while leaning forward.  The sprain never swelled up when I got it, or even now.

I would appreciate any help on what it might be, and if I should see a doctor about this

An ankle sprain is an injury to one or more ligaments in the ankle. The severity of an ankle sprain depends on whether the ligament is stretched, partially torn, or completely torn, as well as on the number of ligaments involved.This tingling sensation that you are having may be due to compression of the nerves due to the impact of the fall.

Aa a thumb rule, even if you don’t have pain or swelling with a sprained ankle, treatment is crucial.Rest the ankle and take some anti-inflammatory analgesic like ibuprofen.Also apply warm compresses on the ankle.If the symptopms persist then pls consult an orthopedician as an x-ray or CT  may be needed to rule out any fracture(even if hair line) and surrounding soft tissue injury.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have seen the trainer at my school for my ankle.  I am getting E-stim every day.  I have had ankle injuries before, and this one just seems to take much much longer to heal.  I am more intrigued by the nerve thing because its different than any type of injury I've had.

I don't know whether it can be correlated to the sprain, or if it something separate.  Also, for something like this, what would the best remedy be?

As I have stated earlier that the tingling sensation can be due to nerve compression or entrapment of the nerve as a result of fall,so you can get it confirmed by nerve conduction tests,nerve percussion(Tinel’s sign)or EMG.This can also be due to tarsal tunnel syndrome(an entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve as it descends from the leg to the foot).Treatment invovesarch support, cortisone injections and surgery in severe cases.

Pls consult an orthopedician to confirm the diagnosis and differentiate I from other conditions which are presenting with the same features like vit B 12 deficiency,diabetes,hypothyroidism,or abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or in case you have any additional queries.

I sprained my ankle on Sept 8th while trail running and then I fell.  I inverted and everted it, at first I was shocked but I got over the initial pain and decided it was not bad, so finished running out the trail.  took arnica and rubbed it with traumeel, elevated and iced it for a few days. i didn't really rest but I did considerable less activity than I normally do.  I continued to stretch the range of motion but eventually I saw that the swelling was not going down and it felt stuck and that the ROM is decreased.  I had a few chiropractic adjustments to my ankle, it didn't really help.  2 months later still swelling, I tape my ankle with using endura tape just above the medial and lateral malleolus.  It felt better, some of the swelling as subsided but still there and I have been feeling tingling sensation if I rub the anterior surface to the big and 2nd toes.  Then just yesterday December 4th while pumping gas, walking back to my car, I rolled out it again.  There was swelling and more tingling but no one thinks its broken that I have seen but I feel like something is not right.  What to do?