Ankle swelling
I've had swelling in my left ankle for almost a year now. I've been to podiatrists, orthopedic doctors, foot and ankle specialist, etc. and no one can tell me what's wrong. I've done the R.I.C.E. treatment, was put in a soft cast for a week and even had surgery recommended to me because the swelling was and still is causing nerve compression. The doc wants to remove the part of the nerve that is being compressed. The swelling is starting to cause some pain upon walking and I've have gone way past frustrated in trying to get answers. The swelling is in my left ankle and extends up to right below my knee. Can anyone give me any kind of idea of what's going on?
A sign of type II diabetes is swelling in the ankles. You may want to see an endocrinologist to be checked for it.
Good luck!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I understand there have been numerous doctor visits and investigations. A single ankle can swell in gout, rheumatoid arthritis, deep vein thrombosis, trauma, fracture, ligament tear, tendonitis, bursitis or ankle strain. It can also be due to localized infection of the skin above and not be related to the joint.  
You need to go over these causes with your treating doctor to understand the cause. See if thrombosis is ruled out.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into.
Take care!
if its swelling and also changing colors( possibly a blue or deep red color ) i would go to pain management for the possibility of RSD
Have you seen a Vascular Specialist or a Vascular surgeon?
I just noticed a week ago that my left ankle is slightly swollen as well. My doctor checked it and pressed really lightly on it and told me it's not water retention. However, when i press real hard right above my ankle bone i can feel a dent. Was wondering if yours leaves a dent when pressed on?
No, I haven't been to see a Vascular Surgeon yet, that will be my next move.
All the doctors I've gone to see have told me that it's not water retention and I don't feel a dent or anything when I press above my ankle bone. All I know is that the swelling is starting to cause a little pain when I walk. Thanks.
Hi Stacker313,

I've been tested for diabetes (since it runs in my family) and my blood sugar levels are fine, sometimes even a little low.

I've been tested for all of the conditions you listed. The doctors have done x-rays and MRI's, to rule out all those conditions. The only thing left is to make an appointment with a Vascular doctor to rule out thrombosis or any other condition like that. Thanks.
Highly recommend the Vascular Specialist; sounds like a vascular issue to me.  

Keep us posted.