Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Awful acid smell/taste reaction to all food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Today, I bought some food, sandwich and a drink, and after i got my meal and got it to go... i kept smelling what i thought was like a "windex" odor, thats the only way i can describe it. I thought it was something in my car or the plastic bag or something... so i just ignored it. When i got to work and into the break room, i still could smell that odor so i threw the bag away and it still smelled. I unwrapped my sandwich thinking it was maybe just me, but no, as soon as i got really to the sandwich i felt my nose and mouth go crazy and the taste of the "windex" actually built up in my nose and i could feel it in my nose. I took a bite to see if it would go away but it was terrible and i THOUGHT it was the sandwich so i threw it out. Seeing as how i didn't eat, i went to go get some more food... same exact thing happened, and this was from a completely different restaurant. They serve good food, healthy too, but the same thing happened!! After seeing that happen twice i got scared. I remember when i was taking my EMT course, a sour taste in your mouth might mean you are having kidney problems... But it isn't a sour taste, its a really really strong acid taste, and when smelling food, smells like "windex", So again, i threw my food out, and just waited to get eat some homemade food... AGAIN.. same thing. actually i didn't even bite into it i could smell the bad smell building up in my nose and in my throat when it was 5ft. away! I haven't been able to eat at all today and i'm really worried that this will last a long time. Hopefully someone can help me cause I am scared that this can be serious and i really don't want it to take a big chunk out of my year cause i am going to college and have a steady job.

I recently just got over a huge fever if that helps. 103 degree's.
I have a similar problem with food every time I get oral thrush, which is common after other illnesses, especially if you may have treated it with an antibiotic.  But even if you didn't.  When your immune system weakens, thrush can build up, and it is unpleasant as Hell.  It responds usually to a 10- or 14-day course of anti-fungal, so it's something at least worth looking into and talking to your doctor about.
It could be as simple as a sinus infection that developed while you were ill.  Do you have any nasal discharge, facial pain or post nasal drip.  They can cause weird senses of smell and taste.  Also, a fungal infection or polyp.  Wait a week or so, if things don't change or you develop more symptoms, see an EENT, eye, ear, nose, throat specialist.