Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Back Flu?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Back Flu?

I am a 32 year old male laborer. My back felt very stiff when I woke up monday morning. At first I thought that it just needed to be cracked, but i had to work and firgured i'd just deal with it when i had time. Progressively through the day it got worse, spreading across my entire back from the top of my neck, both shoulders all the way down to the top of my buttocks on either side. Fatigue followed later that day so it felt a lot like the flu, without any stomach discomfort. I took the next day off of work because I woke with the same pain accompanied with a formidable headache. I was sitting on the couch and the pain spread to my legs, it was extremely hard to bare. I had a flu shot this year, for the first time ever by the way, I hear it is not 100% protection, but this, "sickness," attacked my body, and almost nothing else, like nothing I've ever felt before. The winter has been very cold and dry and people are telling me I need to drink lots of fluids and that will help. I am usually a very good water drinker, but I just don't seem to want it since this has come on.
            Well, that's all. Just seeing if anyone has ever heard of anything like this. Hoping that it is nothing serious
Tags: Flu
Have known people to have an aching pain with a flu, but you should see a physician and get antiviral med to help kick it, if that is what it is; and if it isn't, the physician can diagnose what it is.  Flu shots don't cover every flu out there, and if you got the shot close to the time you got the flu - it won't help with that flu because you need to build up immunity.  Even then, you may get the flu, but not as severely. It's still worth getting the shots.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms could be due to wrong posture while sleeping, uneven bed, or exposure of back to cold air while sleeping. Apply a heat pad and muscle relaxant and see. It can also be due to viral fever. Another possibility is a pinched nerve in spine. Please consult your PCP for primary examination and diagnosis. Take care!