Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Back pain, shingles, rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Back pain, shingles, rash

Is mid back pain a symptom with shingles?  I have had mid back pain on the left side for 5 weeks.  On the 4th week intense itching and burning sensation followed on my left thigh.  In the last two days, there is a 1 inch red, raised rash in the area.  Now there is streaking pain from the rash area.  I visited the doctor for the back pain and was sent home with muscle relaxers. I didn't discuss the itching except that I had been taking Advil for 4 weeks and that I had a previous possible allergic reaction to too much Advil.  He recommended taking Tylenol and the muscle relaxers.  I took them over the weekend and the back showed some improvement.  My doctor is not aware of the small rash and the tenderness in the left thigh.  Should I go back?  Does back pain correlate with shingles?  I have no temperature.  Slight headache two days.

This discussion is related to SHINGLES AND BACK PAIN.
i've had a horrible case of shingles when i was a kid, but never any back pain with it.
Thanks so much....I didn't know children could have shingles....
I could be wrong but I vaguely recall my mother having back pain when she had shingles.  It can't hurt to get it checked.
Thanks Chris. I went back to the doctor today.  I have Shingles.  The pain in my mid back correlates with this.  I went to a different doctor in the same practice.  I guess the rash made it evident to be Shingles.  All of the rash has been on the left side in the thigh.  I can't believe I have Shingles.  I am 55!
The symptoms can be due to shingles. It is not necessary that shingles will present with a rash and can present as atypical shingles also. Mostly shingles is accompanied by a very painful rash, but sometimes shingles pain occurs without a rash. This condition is known as zoster sine herpete. In the absence of a rash, pain in the chest or the back may be so severe as to occasionally be mistaken for a heart attack, a lung infection or spinal problem.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for your concern.  The rash did present and is painful.  The back pain is better but still there. By the end of the day, I am tired and start getting achy (flu like).  Rest seems to help.  I never thought I would need to worry about shingles at 55.  Is this a one time thing or can I expect another bout at a later date?
Yes, I did go to the doctor once the rash appeared.  Yes, it is Shingles.
I have had a lwer back pain around my kidney I thought was a kdney stone. After sensing some irritation on my skin radiating around to my front of my hip and pelvis I now believe it is shingles.  This morning it apeared as a rash in same locations. I also had Bells pawlsey a few years ago. I wonder if they are caused by the same dormant virus?