Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bad chest xray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bad chest xray

About 3 weeks ago, I believe I got a virus. The virus at first caused a sore throat and then coughing with mucus. I know it was a virus because my granddaughter, daughter and husband all got it at the same time. I went to see my GP and he listened to my chest and said that I had asthma and prescribed an inhaler and also 5 day antibiotic. After 5 days, I still had the cough and have also found that I am having aching pain sporadically around my shoulder blade area. The doctor put me on another antibiotic for 7 days and sent me for a chest xray at the end of the antibiotic period. I just heard from his office and the radiologist has recommended a CT scan and a blood test (sounded like creatinine but not sure). Anyone have any ideas what could be possibly showing that would warrant a cat scan?
It means there is something unusual, could be a lung nodule or two and/or enlarged lymph nodes in the chest, especially considering you have been sick.  There are certain kinds of infections that would cause these kinds of findings, which include TB, fungal infections, and others.  I would suggest calling your doctor and asking what was on the Xray.  You can get a copy of the report.  
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A CT scan of chest is done to rule out several conditions like swollen glands, clots, tumors and even pneumonia. Do not get worked up. Consult your doctor and get the tests done. Take care!
blood test is definately bun & creatinine to check for kidney function since they probably will be using CT contrast. That is to make sure your kidneys will flush the dye out properly.  CT scan could be just to check for abnormality on chest xray could be due to scarring since you had a current infection or to look for possible lesions in the chest/lungs
Thanks for all your comments friends. I guess I will just have to wait for the call to go and have the CT scan. I beleive the waiting list isnt to long...so hope to have an answer after the scn and will let all know what the results are. Thanks again
The question you seem to be asking is whether or not the risk (from x-ray radiation) exceeds the benefits of a CT scan. CT scans are not "harmless". The dose of radiation conveys a certain amount of risk. If you try to bring this up, you are treated like a lunatic.

A 3T MRI will show the same abnormalities, without radiation.

Your problem has only been going on three weeks, which is not a long time. Bacterial infections commonly piggyback on viral infections. Bronchitis, secondary to such an infection can last for a long time. Three months is not unusual. There are now available definitive tests for TB.

What is seen on an x-ray depends a lot on the so-called "technique" used. Most x-ray techs simply use a chart to judge what is the proper technique. My guess is that the request for a CT is simply to "cover the malpractice liability".

I am not suggesting that you don't get the CT scan, but you should be aware of the risks, even though some consider them insignificant. Overuse of CT's is a significant problem in the healthcare field.

Thanks for the information. Yes...radiation is a problem for lots of people. People who have had lots of xrays run the risk of having thyroid cancer. I should know because I have already had it and been treated with radioactive iodine ablation therapy. The first thing the oncologist asked me was if I had a lot of xrays and I guess (I am 59) over my lifetime I have had more than my share of them. I am from Canada and because we don't pay for our healthcare, there is very seldom cases of malpractice..although I am sure there are some in certain cases. I know I have already been diagnosed with early stage emphysema, so maybe it has something to do with that. Like I said earlier, it is just a matter of time before I have the CT scan with contrast and then I will know what they are suspecting. My doctors' secretary said that the radiologist recommended the CT scan not necessarily that I needed it. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.
Hi all...Well I had my CT scan done with contrast and I got the call from my doctors office that he wanted to see me today. So far they have confirmed that I have a 3cm tumor on my right lung and a lymph node that looks suspicious. The next step now is to have another CTscan and guided biopsy on the tumor and/or lymph node to be able to stage the cancer. The doctor told me there is a risk of collapsing my lung with the procedure and that my surgeon will be standing by. Depending on what this test shows, we will know how they are going to treat me. The thoracic surgeon might want me to go have a pet scan to have a better look at the lymph nodes. Then again, he might just decide after seeing the cat scan that he will remove the bad part of my lung without the scan. Regardless, I guess I am going to have a fight on my hands because my doctor told me to prepare for the worst. He also told me that anytime I want to talk to him to just go to his office and see him. He is not only my doctor but after 30 years with him, he is also my friend. Anyways will keep all informed as to the progression.