Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bad taste in mouth and sore tongue.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bad taste in mouth and sore tongue.

I have had a bad taste in my mouth for over a year.  The taste is somewhat metallic/sweet.  It is very hard to describe.  My tongue also gets very sore like I've been chewing on it and becomes dry and feels sandy.  I was not taking any medication when this started happening but since then have been taking gabapentin and Visteral.  I had a blood test that was positive for Lupus but the doctor doesnt seem to think I really have it.  Another doctor seems to think it could be Sjogrens Syndrome but nothing is conclusive.  The pain is awful at times and I constantly have to be eating something to change the taste in my mouth but it only work till what Im eating is gone.  Does anyone know what could be making this happen.

This discussion is related to metallic and sweet or foul taste for 2 years.
1 Comment
Well, the dry mouth is usually a first sign of Sjogren's. Sjogren's is related to Lupus. Have you seen a rheumatologist yet? There is more testing they can do.  You might try posting on a Sjogren's forum.

Is your tongue an abnormal color?  Sometimes a bacterial and/or yeast overgrowth on the tongue can change sensation of taste.  Do you have any other symptoms, stomach problems, constipation, or anything like that?