Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Becoming Choked for no reason (non-food)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Becoming Choked for no reason (non-food)

For the past 4 months, my son (age 24) gets choked for no reason.  He's not eating and he's not drinking anything.  He just gets choked and can't breathe.  It's that simple.  I haven't timed the episodes, but I'd say they last about 30-45 seconds.  Any ideas on what may be causing this?
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
If I may, do the "episodes" include "inhale" gasping that sounds a little like a pigs squeel?  Does he have or has he had any episodes within the first 20-30 minutes of waking up?      
Blank
233772_tn?1297356983
He needs to see a gastrointerologist and schedule and EGD to find the cause. He could be having spasms or reflux but without an EGD and an examination that cannot be determined. An EGD is a simple test where they go down your throat with a camera. I have had it done and believe me its an easy test. You don't eat or drink after midnight and they give you great drugs so you don't remember a thing! Keep us updated!
paula
Blank
I'm 19 now, and remember back in elementary school this happened to alot of kids (including myself) and we had no idea what it was. Same exact symptoms. I can't remember for how long though. What i do know is that the school was old. Wish i could help more but hope he gets better.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank