Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Big toe pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Big toe pain

Greetings!

At times my left big toe hurts even if I'm laying down doing nothing. It is a throbbing burning sensation.  It often hurts during the day when I have my shoes on. When I touch it to sooth the pain, my toe also feels numb. The feeling to the touch is a numb feeling despite the fact that it is hurting. This is a re-ocurring sympton for about a year now. At one point there was some puss in the crease of the nail. That was nearly a year ago and it lasted for about a week. I am concerned that the reddness and puss condition is going to come back too. What could this condition be?
1 Comment

The big toe pain that you are having can be due to the injury inflicted by improperly fitting shoes.Pls check out whether your shoes are responsible for it.Other possibility can be paronychia(a soft tissue infection around a fingernail) .It results from a breakdown of the protective barrier between the nail and the nail fold.As you had earlier also so possibility of chronic paronychia cannot be ignored.Diagnosed by gram staining and KOH wet mounts from the skin and nail scrapings.

I sincerely advise you to consult a podiatrist and get this possibility evaluated.If it comes out negative then other causes like bunion,bursitis,enthesitis and arthritis(esp gout) have to be probed.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.