Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bilateral joint pain ~~ unexplained cause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hello.

For a period of about 2 months I have been experiencing bilateral onset mild "joint" pain (I call it joint pain, but in truth I'm not sure of the origin of the pain, could be tendons, muscles or simply neurological for all I know).  Started in wrists and ulnar portion of the hands, felt mainly when I am tying.  Wearing wrists braces while typing helps some.  My primary physician has said the symptoms are not consistent with carpal tunnel.  I have no numbing, tingling, weakness.  No restriction of movement, tenderness or swelling.  Just mild pain that worsens when typing.  

I have similar mild pain in the ankle and foot that increases throughout the day with activity.  Foot pain is also mainly in outer portion of foot.  Within the last week I have also developed aches in the knees that tends to increase with activity.

All pain I would describe as mild but persistent.  I have been tested both by a general physician and chiropractor, both of whom generally found me to be "normal."  No neurological signs, reflexes fine, no pain on manipulation of joints, no weakness.  My GP ran blood tests for autoimmune disorders (Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, gout, etc.) which came back negative.  The symetrical onset however, seems to be an issue of concern.

the chiro mentioned ALS, but reading the symptoms of that, I have no weakness, clumsiness, fasculations (spelling?) or difficulty speaking/swallowing. Unlike Rheumatoid arthritis I have no swelling or stiffness, and I feel my best in the morning.  Were I 50-60 I would say this is "normal aging" but I am 35.

thoughts?

No Doctor here, but your symptoms seem to indicate the possibility of Fibromyalgia...there are certain tender spots at the joints, etc. that this mind sound like.  Did your Dr. discuss that with you?  Google Fibromyalgia, to check also.
Thanx...I've been looking at fibro (no the doctor didn't mention it).

In a rough sense, I'd agree...this is the best "match" for my symptoms I've seen yet (diffuse pain without swelling or identifyable structural problem).  Only concern is the "tender points" graph I've seen.  Most of the tender points seem to be in the shoulders, neck and back (as well as elbows and knees).  Most of my pain is in the knees, ankles, feet, wrists hands and fingers.  I don't think I would "pass" the test they use in identifying tender points.

However I will say I probably qualify for fatigue (I sleep considerably more than the average person, although I usually feel refreshed afterward.).  

No particular brain fog though I think.

Thanx for your input...this has been very puzzling for me.

I think that since this is such a "new" disease, they don't exactly have the specifics down for it yet...yes, continue to explore it.  I think everyone has their own specific symptoms.
You need to be sure that you have ruled out any other systemic diseases before labeling yourself with Fibro.  I have worked in pain management for 4 years as a nurse practitioner and have developed a clinic for such.  The problem is once you label yourself with fibro, most health care providers will not continue to provide you care.  I have found a low dose of methadone, lyrica and cymbalta very effective and enable one to have an improvement in their quality of life.  
But I encourage you to have a total work-up including an 8 am cortisol level.  Look up endfatigue.com excellent physician with answers
That sounds similar to what I've been experiencing for the past 4 months--started with my knees, then my ankles/top outside of foot, then the side of my palms, then the tips of my shoulders.  The pain wakes me up at night.  I'm losing energy because I feel like I'm lifting a 300 lb. body all day.  All tests for autoimmune and lyme disease are negative.  I've been to three doctors.  The first one only addressed my knees and said I needed to have a formal exercise routine (I'm 27, female, have a toddler, and am not over-weight), the second did the majority of the blood work and said we'll test again in a couple months, the third did some more blood work and said it is probably a virus--and some of them can take several months before the pain subsides.  Meanwhile, trying organic apple cider vinegar--supposed to do wonders for joint pain/arthritic symptoms.  This is day 1.  Keeping fingers crossed.