Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bitter taste on my lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-222 comments:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/1000873-bitter-taste-lips-compressed-air-cleaner.html
The apparent common denominator is Denatonium Benzoate. I have noticed this same metallic taste sporacidally. Today I used nail polish remover in a closed room. Later, I re-entered the room and stayed for awhile. Shortly thereafter, my lips tasted terrible. I googled for an answer and found this stream. So thankful. Yes, there is Denatonium Benzoate in my polish remover, and I've been inhaling it. I recall a similar taste after using hand sanitizer. Glad to have an answer.
Here is my 2 cents worth. I am not on any meds and I don't work for a chemical plant or anywhere near one that I know of.

SYMPTOMS:

The taste I have is not metallic, it's bitter. The taste is not on my skin or in my mouth or on my fingers, it's on my lips. In fact my lips have a slightly anesthetized feeling when I rub my tongue over them back and forth.

Food that passes through them and touches my lips taste bitter but not continually, it's like only a piece or portion of the morsel or spoonful or mouthful is bitter, not the whole piece, and it's usually as it enters my mouth, perhaps touching my lips.

THINGS TO RULE OUT:

I don't use compressed air so it's definitely not that. I have a latex keyboard cover and when I taste it, it's kind of bitter yes, but I've had it for a few years and my bitter lips taste only started yesterday.

THINGS TO RULE IN:

#1
Yesterday I cleaned the bathroom like never before and went wild with Vim Bathroom. It does not contain Den.Ben. I have used this product for about 7 years and have never noticed a problem. I used it intensely for about 45 minutes. I don't remember tasting bitter lips before this.

#2
Two days ago I bought a dishwasher and have touched about 6 of those power pacs. This one is Sunlight with oxi action. The warnings are strong and advise you to keep the bag closed tightly after use. Again no Den.Ben. I haven't had a dishwasher in several years and haven't used dishwasher detergent until two days ago.

#3
Yesterday I had company coming and noticed that I used my Lysol Disinfecting wipes more than I usually do to wipe the coffee table and kitchen counters. It also doesn't have Den.Ben. in it.

To add to the SYMPTOMS: section of my previous post.

I have noticed a strange combination of food finger lips tongue. My skin nor fingers taste bitter, however, when I touch food with my finger then lick my finger where I touched the food, it tastes bitter. As soon as the food residue is licked away, the bitter taste on my finger is gone. During this bitter taste sensation which lasts for seconds only, my tongue and lips tingle slightly which aids in intensifying the bitterness.
So I've been experiencing the same symptoms of the bitter taste on my fingers and lips. When I read about the computer duster theory, it all suddenly pieced together. I had cleaned my keyboard a couple of days ago with the computer cleaner. I asked my dad if he had been experiencing the bitter taste and he looked at me in shock because he had but had no clue why. I explained to him about the computer duster and then had a good laugh at how worried we were about the weird taste.
noticed bitter tasting lips recently; out of curiosity i tasted my arm and it's bitter as well.  don't take any meds exc a vitamin and ibuprofen occasionally. spend time outside but not an inordinate amount.  don't use canned air.   was really freaking out until i remembered that i got some "bitter yuck" spray to keep my dog from licking the furniture.  i've seen Denatonium Benzoate mentioned a lot on this forum but it's not specifically listed on the ingredients in the bitter yuck; it only lists "bittering agent."  would this still explain away the bitter skin and lips?  am i actuallly absorbing the bittering agent that i sprayed on the couch thru my skin?  but then it seems that my husband would have similar bitterness.   anyway, i'm just kind of happy to see that i'm not alone in this...
I just Googled because I noticed this bitter taste problem on my lips and skin this morning. I just used"Dust Off" canned air on my computer.....
If you can get a form fitting cover for your keyboards, I would recommend this, because you wouldn't have to use the compressed air on your keyboards at all any more.  Check the bottom of your keyboard for the make and model.  Then, get a form fitting plastic cover for the keyboard to keep the dust from getting so close to the keys.  It will also help keep the letter from wearing off the keyboard.  Anything you can do to find a way to keep from having to use the compressed air is the best thing you can do.  In the long run it will also save you some money.
I am a healthy as a horse 32 yr old woman...but I got the same problem as you all. My lips, hands and fingers taste as of I dripped them in nail polish remover.  I noticed it just about 2 weeks ago. I thought it might be the lotion I'm using on my hands so I stopped using lotion.  It makes no difference. Then I thought maybe I should wash my hands more often so I wash my hands every chance I get. Even if I don't touch anything, give it a 5 min and it's back. I am so worried something is wrong with me. But I'm relieved that I'm not the only one dealing with this thanks to your posts.  I don't take any medications not even birth control. I eat healthy and exercise 6 days a week. I know it has nothing to do with personal and oral hygiene, or dust remover sprays or lotions.  Wish someone would look into it from scientific and medical angle.  Thanks for the posts though.  It helped a ton.
You guys I just turned 13 and this happend to me! I have no idea what it is. You guys dont realize that if you fingers taste bad and your putting them on your keyboard. You keyboard is going to taste bad. Lol. WTF is wrong with me? My lips and my hands taste like pen ink.
It's chem trails idiots...they are preserving the females for 2012 it is mandatory that females survive even if gays have more e than t and estrogen is the main factor. i am no conspiracy nut but they have found ways to wipe out males instead of females and vice versa. who is more important?...lick those bitter fingers... you will be saved unfortunately i am a guy without a vaccine so i wil perish...love life as much as i do boys. Nachos, wings, jerky, beer, snowboarding, pissing your name in the snow.
Canned air!!!!  I think that's it!  I just cleaned my computer keyboard yesterday and that is when this started!  I noticed when I washed my hands it seemed to go away for a few minutes and then BAM there it was again.  Oh I am so relieved!  I thought something horrible was happening.
I have the same bad taste and i realized it's only when i am at work. I have never sprayed my keyboard with that. but there are always other people in my office so i think that is what it is. I just read the bottle "dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue, resulting in a bad taste if transferred to the mouth". It is the 3m brand. So glad i found this page and figured this out it was driving me crazyy! =]
i have a chese pain after i use the pifict duster

I was really upset when I figured out it was from the 3M canned air spray. I went to their website and they suggested using a mixture of 50/50 alcohol and water mix to wipe off your keyboard. I didnt have rubbing alcohol and so I used witch hazel on cotton swabs.  It also suggested drinking milk or eating chocolate if any gets in your mouth.  I had the taste very strongly on my fingers, so I rubbed my hands in chocolate syrup - that didnt work.  Then I had an onion/water soup type mixture.  I soaked my hands in that for about 15 min and it took the nasty taste away.  I was very disturbed to find out what caused this.  I spoke to an attorney about the possiblity of seeking legal recourse - I dont think it is at all appropriate for 3M to put this into their cans.  Today the taste is no longer on my hands nor on my computer.  But, if it comes back, I am definitely going to email 3M and complain.  Has anyone contacted 3M? Or feel like your damages are severe enough to file a law suit?
I am just reading this article from 2 years ago and totally agree with innanni. I just used a "canned air" product to clean my keyboard yesterday and noticed that my fingertips were bitter (nothing else was bitter except the finger tips). Washed my hands several times and it kept coming back. Would disappear at home (obviously since I was not using the keyboard at work) and reappeared today. I just clorox'ed the keyboard and problem solved! DEFINITELY THE CANNED AIR! the label says it contains a bittener as well. Thanks!
Get a grip!  This is not an injury and we don't have to sue just because we can!
I'm reading these old posts and am so relieved!  I bought a can of the 3m air spray about a month ago and this started after that, although I wouldn't have known the cause if I hadn't seen these posts.  It is a nasty taste, but harmless (to my knowledge) and I'm glad to know others have this so I'm not worried about it anymore.
The reason your post caught my attention is because I, too, have to take a thyroid supplement.  I had Graves Disease and had radiation to remove my thyroid, so will supplement for the rest of my life.  I'm not sure if maybe that drug interaction is possibly causing the taste?  At any rate, it doesn't hurt us, just annoying.  I actually moved my can of 3M last night, and the taste came back today briefly!
I DO NOT USE CAN AIR, MY DIET HAS NOT CHANGED OR ANY SOAPS OR CLEANERS BUT I HAVE THIS BITTER SALTY TASTE ON MY LIPS AND SKIN.  i HAD MY HUSBAND TASTE MY HAND AND HE GOT THE SAME TASTE I GET.  HE DID NOT HAVE THE TASTE I HAVE.
Have the same problem recently. Found out it is the antibacterial hand gel that i have been using the last few days while my girlfriend has been in the hospital.
I recently started having these same symptoms...and after reading the posts, I realized that the bitter agent in the canned air may not just be limited to keyboard cleaners. I recently got a new puppy and have been using Pet Corrector -- canned air to correct any unwanted behavior.

I stopped using it, so I wonder how long it will take for the bitter taste to go away.
Aaagh! I just started experienceing this in the last week. I thought I'd do a search and figured I wouldn't find any information, that I would be the only one! I am amazed at how many people have it. I am retired and don't go anywhere except to the store and the gym. Boring I know. HOWEVER...I just bought a can of 3M Dust Remover! I am now going to clean my keyboard and hopefully it will help. I don't know how dificult it will be to remove any traces, or how long it will take to wear off my fingers and lips, but it does seem to be the common denominator. Has anyone else cleaned their keyboards and hasd the taste go away? I will definitely keep you posted on what happens. It is kind of terrifying to think about what could possibly be going on in your body if this isn't the solution...
I cleaned my keyboard with a damp washcloth with soap, then an antibacterial wipe a couple of times. It has come off, and the bitter taste is has gone from my lips and is wearing off my fingers. I'm on day 3 and it is definitely not as bitter as it was! Yay! I'm guessing in a few more days it will be completely gone. Whew!  I don't know what was worse...thinking that I was going to be the only one in existence who was having this problem, or reading all of the posts and thinking that it is some kind of untreatable malady! For me, 3M was the culprit!
Just started to experience the bitter taste when licking my lips - had a suspicion it may have been the anti-bacterial hand wash I used earlier - and reading through these comments, it seems that is the culprit.  Back to using soap for me!
Thank you all so much for your comments here!  I've been experiencing this gross, bitter taste on my fingers for the past couple days and it's been driving me crazy.  After reading all of these comments, I realized it was definitely caused by the keyboard cleaner I used earlier in the week.  So, so relieved to know where it came from.
Sorry, but I have no canned air at all. I have been fascinated reading everyone's replies. My bitter taste on my lips started just two days ago. When I first noticed it, the only thing different in my life was that I used a new cup my daughter-in-law had given me for Christmas. It was one of those reusable coffee mugs. I thought maybe it was something on the soft, plastic lid that made my lips have that strange taste. As time goes on, however, I am doubting that the taste would linger this long. I did notice a couple of posts indicated the use of thyroid medication. I, too, use generic synthroid. However, not everyone falls into that category either. I hope someone has a good answer for us all.
This is very interesting.  I have the same problem and I also take Synthroid for my Thyroid and I have been for years
so funny...I just had my husband taste the keyboard to see if it tasted like my fingers and the taste was so strong he ran to the bathroom and washed his mouth out for several minutes.....and is still tasting metal.  I guess I will stop using canned air to clean the keyboard.  Thanks
I am very excitedthat im not going crazy for having this horrible bitter taste in my mouth.  After reading these post I realize that it is probably the Endust spray and wipes i have been using on my keyboard and mouse for the last couple of days.  The fact that is was happening at work is why even washing my hands was not getting rid of the taste.
I have been experiencing a bitter taste on my lips and fingers also! And I came across a page via google, that said it could be from pine nuts, cleaners, and hand sanitizer! In my case I believe it is from daily use of hand sanitizer! :) I was so happy to find this out... It has a chemical in it that is also used in antifreeze, so that is where the bitter taste comes from.

Stop using those products and see if you see a difference. (I hope I do) :)
I have had the same problem. How does one get the taste of the canned air spray out of their mouth and off their lips? How do you get the canned air off of my laptop keyboard??
I would worry about allergy with tingly lips.I have gone into ani shock twice and both times started with tingely lips. Just saying. Have no ans for taste
My daughter just checked he canned air cleaner. It says right on there bitter taste added
I have been getting a horrible bitter taste on my lips for a few months now, but it always comes on at 11am and lasts for about an hour to an hour and 30 mins.  I haven't started using any new perfumes or cleansers, etc.  I have just been on holiday for a few weeks and still got the taste at 11am, but wasn't at a computer at all while I was away.  I thought for a while it could be my contraceptive pill as it was occurring at the same time every day.  Any ideas?
I just finished reading all the comments.. I too discovered this hard metallicy bitter taste. The prduct i sed just minutes earlier was the CVS brand of Rubbing Alchohol 70% and Denatonium Benzoate & acetone... yuck, never using that again....
I too read all these posts but no one has told us how to get rid of the taste .  I have washed off my  face and hands with different soaps (in case it was one particular  soap causing the problem) but I still have the bitter/disinfectant type of taste on my fingers and mouth. Have you been successful with finding a soap that removes the taste?
There are too many chemicals in our air, our food or in the environment to determine the cause.  However,  taking Zinc will sometimes take care of the problem.  Not only is Zinc good for you immune system it has healing properties for your skin. (has healed some from acne)  Hope Zinc helps some of you with this "bitter" problem.  The only time I had this bitter lip problem was when I was taking antibiotics or corticosteroids prescribed by a Dr.
Wow, I just bought a can and used it! I could not figure what it was! Tastes like nail polish remover!  I just used Dawn detergent but it didn't remove it! Hope someone gets it off and posts here. This never happened before with can spray. I'll be tying various ways to clean the keys.
It sounds like you have a good handle on it. The DW chemical sounds like it lines up time wise. I am here because I have the same thing. It comes from my lips and gum line. (transferred from the former I'm sure) Lips and the skin directly around them. I do not use the spray although I am on my laptop 4 plus hours a day for business. Oh well.
If its the keyboard spray I would say you can use the small bristle paint brushes that are 2" and cost less than a dollar. Flick the dust off and occasionally dry blow on the key cracks a puff or two. That will do the trick as I have done that for more than a decade.
Wow!!! I've been really scared about this bitter taste. It is great to at least know it isn't cancer. Geeeezzzz   And, yes, as someone said above, it says it right on the can that bitter taste is added to ward off druggies. Get real. A druggie will do his thing, taste bar none.  Too bad we all have to suffer. Oh, and what is really stupid is how this bitter taste is probably a kind of high in and of its self. grrrrrrrrrrrr.....
I've been having this problem for months now...to the point I've lost over 20 lbs and was just sick all the time with no energy what so ever. I narrowed it down to a few things and after completely cleaning my home from top to bottom and slowly removing the items 1 at a time I have narrowed it down to Clorox Disinfecting Wipes....after having them out of my home for almost 2 weeks the taste finally went away and I was eating again and regaining my energy! Went to a friends for dinner and was helping her clean up when I noticed what she was using...those darn Clorox cleaning wipes and the next day the taste was back! I now stay clear of all Clorox products. I've always had chemical sensitivities but I honestly thought this stuff was going to kill me. I'm fine as long as I stay away from those awful things!
Wow, I can't believe that this has been happening to people for so long... I have the same thing, but it's only showed up in the past few months and it's been off and on. I thought maybe it was because I work as a caregiver and with kids and so some of the cleaning agents were getting on me, etc. But no matter how many times I wash my hands, it never seems to help. It's not a metallic taste but someone said it earlier, it's like bitter ink.

Another note of interest, my husband doesn't seem to notice it. If he does he never says anything.... I wish there was an answer for this...
I totally agree about the chem trails and they are getting worse!  Just look up in the skies!!  I do not use those compressed cans to clean my keyboard (don't have a keyboard any more since the iPad); I don't use Clorox; but I do see more and more chem trails!  But I don't believe there is a male/female issue with the chem trails as my grandson has the same taste on his lips and on his fingers.  I just try not to lick my lips or fingers anymore and as others have said....at least it's not just me!  But it sure is disgusting.
I've had the same symptom of bitterness on my lips and fingers too. I am glad I am not the only one with these strange symptoms.
But I am on two medications and have been drinking Ensure lately. So mine could be from too many vitamins. I also go outside a lot. Someone mentioned that could be a cause. I also have stomach problems I have never used a canned air spray for my keyboard.
But a lot of you have none of these causes. It might be a variety of causes which means we might all have something different. It's very frustrating. I can admit to licking myself.
Since it seems to be certain areas of skin in our bodies maybe it has to do with the way our body gets rid of excess minerals/vitamins. Maybe those areas are the places most excreted from?
Maybe we are super tasters and can taste things on ourselves and in our foods that others can't! Super tasters can taste bitter things. Watch it on youtube!
The bitter taste can be due to carcinomas started to grow either in lungs if you smell anything rotten or the e bile. Go to check that up. M y husband and my mother in law both died by cancer, my husband by lung cancer. Those symptoms started about 5 years before he was diagnosed.  If he had paid more attention and have monitoring the disease, he'd probably still alive.
I've been concerned about the bitter taste to my hands and lips now and then. I've read that it may be cancer or diabetes or other life threatening afflictions. I then realized that the balls I use for juggling didn't smell right. Sure enough, about 10 minutes after using them, I tasted the bitterness on my lips. These balls are made in china. They are called "Funtastic Spongeballs." I hope this helps.
Viewing 201-222 comments: