Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bitter taste on my lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bitter taste on my lips

I don't know why...

I don't wear makeup so it's not from that.

I'm not on any meds and don't take any OTC stuff.

My diet hasn't changed.

But I have this horrible bitter taste on my lips that just won't go away. Like when you use nail polish remover and then stick your finger in your mouth by accident... only I don't wear nail polish and haven't used any polish remover. No household cleaners either...

It's just a really horrible bitter taste on my lips.

Any clues???
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I HAVE THE SAME THING!!

I thought I was crazy.  It's on my lips, my fingers, hands... every piece of skin on my body tastes like I was bathed in chemicals.  My husband can't taste it (yes I made him taste my skin, haha) but he said my skin smells different.  

No nail polish remover, no household cleaner; it's like a chemical, bitter taste.  Possibly metallic but that is not the predominant taste.  It is NOT a bad taste in my mouth... it is a bad taste on my skin.  And if I touch something, that tastes like it too (like my drinking glass).

Can this be from overusing multivitmains?  Does the body secrete excess minerals or metals or something if you take too much?

It is making my feel like a complete lunatic.  On the plus side, it's keeping me from licking my lips and biting my nails...
I have it too!  Came on here tonight to see if anybody else gets this.  Mine comes and goes.  Weeks pass between bouts of it, then the taste comes back and lasts for a few days.

Chemically, very bitter, biting taste!  Tonight I told my husband about it and he thought I just had a bitter taste in my mouth.  It's NOT in my mouth!  I explained that no, this is on all my skin, my lips, my arms, my hands.  I put the tip of my finger in his mouth and he immediately knew what I was talking about.  He could taste it!  So this is not a delusion - something odd is happening here.

I don't take vitamins, I do take thyroid medicine and anti-anxiety medicine, but have for over 10 years and this just started about 6 months ago.

I did start using a new cleaner lately, Clorox's new "Green" something.  It dries my hands out like crazy - to the point of scaling and cracking.  So now I use gloves when I use it.  Any chance you just started using this "Green" stuff by Clorox?

I have no clue, but now think I may go to the doc.
Did you ever get an answer? I read all of these posts but saw no answers. Any help?
I just sent you a message as well, but wanted to also post here to see if anyone had gotten an answer. As I said, I also take thyroid medicine but the timing on this doesn't correlate with my change in dosage. The bitter taste has been there almost 2 weeks and my dosage changed about 6 weeks ago. Mine seems to be worse in the daytime and is normally gone by evening. I'm going to continue to research but will def call the doctor if this continues.

If anyone finds an answer, please share!!
I believe you are all females, but I'm a male and experiencing the same thing.  It's been going on for about 4 months and I have no idea what's causing it.  My diet, etc. have not changed but this suddenly became a sensation that has me worried.  My lips, my fingertips and other skin areas have an extremely bitter taste...not metalic.  
i'm female and have it also.. and my mouth is very very dry and when i lick my lips it feels like i have a weird chemical film over them.. and its horrible tasting, like i've gotten some kind of chemical on my hands and then put them in my mouth..

it's horrible.. does anyone have any clue what this is?
I have exact same thing as you, really dry mouth and werid chemical film on my lips and sometimes it's like that film is in my mouth too.  I only get this when i am in my house, I never get it anywhere else.  Do you experience it always or just sometimes?

I'm soooo keen to figure it out, it is driving me mad
I am sooooo surprised to google this problem I've been having the last couple of day and actually find that others have this too!  It's a bitter taste on the hands and lips only from what I can tell.  I licked my arm and don't think it's really too bitter.  But, my lips and fingers taste extremely bitter.  I have washed them multiple times to no avail.  I haven't changed anything except I started using Rainbath shower gel recently.  I at first thought this might be causing it.  But, then why would my lips keep tasting this way as soon as I lick them and they dry, it's back to tasting very bitter.  What on earth is this?
I am just grapsing at straws here... but it appears everyone started posting about this recently.  I have been eating lot's of fresh vegetables lately.  I gained 10 lbs on vacation and started a diet when I returned.  So, I guess my diet has changed this week for sure.  I am eating "clean" if you all have ever heard of that.  In any case, I wonder if this salmonella outbreak has companies washing the vegies in something new and it's excreting through our skin. LOL  Is this far fetched?

I am really a little worried about this.  I hope something isn't wrong with me.
I have yet to find any answer or clue as to what might be causing it for me. It doesn't seem to coorilate with anything that normally happens in my life. My diet never changes, my soap, shampoo, laundry soap, dish soap haven't changed. But still, there's this horrid bitter, chemical-ly taste on my lips and fingers. It comes and goes- will have it for a week or two then it just stops & stays gone for a few weeks to months- then suddenly it's back again.

I don't have a fever or any other "sick" symptoms when I have bouts with this so I'm guessing it's my body getting rid of something it doesn't want or need and it can't find a way to get rid of it any other way.

Completely baffling.

Though, if other people are having it too I'd say it's not just you so you aren't nuts. & if it's caused by something being wrong with you please let us know because we have it wrong with us too.

Misery loves good company I suppose.
The first thing I thought of was some kind of poisoning ...but maybe am watching too many Forensic File shows.  There are places that do a full examination by just taking a piece of your hair - that's what I would do if this were happening to me.  Then they can tell you if too much of a specific chemical/ vitamin is in your body. I just did a google search and came up with>  http://www.hairanalysisprogram.com/  if you want more info about it.  I never used this service but just remembered a friend who was involved in working for a company such as this one where they did hair analysis and she told me a lot can be found out from doing that.  The only thing that I can think of that causes bitter taste (again with my forensic shows) is a poison that tastes like bitter almonds but don't remember if it was arsenic or what it was.  Maybe there are fertilizers you are coming in contact with?  
I have never experienced this myself (I am a 52 yr old female) ....in case you were wondering
About 2 weeks ago I started experiencing this as well and it seems to be my lips and all of my skin. I noticed tonight at dinner if I touched food with my fingers it then tasted like this but using a fork it doesn't. I got online tonight to research it thinking maybe it was vitamin overdose or dehydration but it doesn't appear that is it. Like all of you nothing has changed in my diet or products being used. I live in the Midwest if that is a common thing with you all. I've recently trimmer a juniper evergreen and developed a rash and read that just breathing the air by them causes most people to have an allergic reaction but didn't find this symptom as one. Has anyone discovered what "this" is? I've never posted anything before and am grateful to have been led to this posting. Thank you!
Don't you all find it very strange that so many are searching for the answer to this problem recently?  Why is there nothing on the internet related to these systems from the past?  

Questions for all of you:
Do you use Retin A? (I do) - Thinking maybe I am using to much vitamin A
Is your neck or upper back stiff and sore if you drop your head to your chest? (mine is)
Does the bitter taste come and go throughout the day?
Have you been dieting?
Do you use rainbath? (I started using this about a week ago)
I too have had this symptom lately.  I've never had this problem before, but my hands and lips are just incredibly bitter tasting sometimes.  Washing them doesn't make it go away.  I tought maybe it was because we had just moved out to the country, perhaps something in the air or the well water. It is so odd, and I have no other symptoms that I've noticed.  I've read through this thread and I don't see any other commonalities with any one else.  I don't take vitamins, or any kind of meds, or use rainbath...  I am a 26 year old female.
Do you use Retin A? No I don't.
Is your neck or upper back stiff and sore if you drop your head to your chest? Some days, but I attribute that to having Spina Bifida. Some days I wake up nearly paralyzed and some days I wake up fine. I don't have the bitter taste when I wake up sore.
Does the bitter taste come and go throughout the day? When I experience it it's all day, for several days in a row.
Have you been dieting? No, nothing in my diet has changed.
Do you use rainbath? Nope, don't use it.

I really wish some one some where could figure this out for us. It's really annoying and frustrating- and makes eating difficult & unpleasant.

I will say though that I'm really glad to know that I'm not alone with this.

How are you?

Bitter or bad taste in the mouth is scientifically known as ‘Dysgeusia’.It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, medications like antibiotics, vitamins and antidepressants, poor oral hygiene, copper or lead toxicity.

Bitter taste is caused by caused by anaerobic bacteria that live within our bodies. These bacteria can grow in number very quickly when given the right environment or food source thus causing a bad taste in mouth.

You can fight against the metallic taste by having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the metallic taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. It will help in lessening the metallic taste. You can use some oral mouthwashes also. This should help.

But if the symptoms persist then please consult a doctor for a complete examination.

Regards and do keep us posted.
Ok...first of all in response to the previous poster the problem is not a bad taste in my mouth, but on my hands.  Big difference.
Secondly, I think I have an explaination for this, and I felt a little silly once I realized it.  Do any of you use canned air to dust your keyboard or anything else with?  I do and today when I cleaned with it I noticed that the label had changed...it now announced that a "bittering agent has been added to discourage inhalant abuse".  Apparently in the past few months many makers of canned air and other propelent products (the kind that are 'huffed') have been doing the same thing.  This would explain why this is a recent phenomena in our lives..and for me it explains why I would wash my hands and the bitter would come back. (even though I hadn't gotten anything on them, I'd only been working at the computer)  
This explaination makes perfect sense to me and I believe explains this odd symptom in my case.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
To Kindd-
I agree with innanni- the taste is on our skin & lips- NOT IN OUR MOUTH. I appreciate the information but for me at least it's not a question of oral hygene or taste in my mouth.

To Innanni- the majority of companies that make aresol product have put bittering agents in them for years. Perhaps the brand of canned air you are using just started doing it but most of them have been doing it for quite a long time now. I don't use compressed air on any of my electronics and I wipe my keyboard with a damp towel or microfiber cloth.

Any other suggestions?
K
can i ask a question of you all?
it is, are you all very social creatures?
do you all spend alot of time outside?

if so, i may have the answer, but its not what you'd expect, or like to hear.
i dont have time to wait for you guys to respond and as im using a work computer, i cannot bookmark the page to come back to later. so ill tell you what im thinking now.

have you heard of morgellons disease?

it is an old disease, which dissapeared, but lately in the last few years, there have been hundreds, if not thousands of cases of people displaying symptoms close to morgellons disease

you should google it.

basically, patients feel crawling sensations underneath their skin, lesions appear, and from those lesions, fibres are pulled from the patients skin,

i am no doctor, but you can google this and find the relevant information for yourself.

you guys clearly arent describing those symptoms.

but you do display symptoms all over your skin.

i hope you'll bare with me while i continue to explain;
morgellons is related to "chemtrails" you can google this.

here is some info

http://educate-yourself.org/ct/
http://www.rense.com/politics6/chemdatapage.html
http://www.chemtrailcentral.com/
http://www.carnicom.com/contrails.htm

and some documentaries:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2815320198655156407&q=chemtrails&ei=ItiMSNiNBpXiiQLN0pX_Cw&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1332178607299698024&q=chemtrails&ei=ItiMSNiNBpXiiQLN0pX_Cw&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1943488801478010925&q=chemtrails&ei=ItiMSNiNBpXiiQLN0pX_Cw&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=chemtrails&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#hl=en&q=chemtrails&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&dur=3

the german military have been taken to court for doing this
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3505479808495180631&q=chemtrails+german+military&ei=YtiMSJmsIoKSigKr4vTNCA&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2424038347793896014&q=chemtrails+german+military&ei=YtiMSJmsIoKSigKr4vTNCA&hl=en

this is why it is very relevant if you spend alot of time outside, because they will affect/contaminate you more.

keep your eyes on the skies, and if you see what is on these websites, and in these videos, and you still choose to spend hours outside everyday, then its your choice, but i wouldnt reccomend it for your health.

barium, ALUMINIUM, unidentifiable fibres, and a lot of other substances have been found in these chemical trails, and theyve been found by independant labs.
http://www.rense.com/general21/conf.htm
http://www.bariumblues.com/methodic_demise_of_natural_earth.htm
http://www.angelhealingcenter.com/Chemtrails.html
and here, a local news station confirming the ingredients:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okB-489l6MI

i strongly suggest, you be aware of the skies, stay inside if they are spraying, and watch your condition improve.
i'll place money it will.

I recently started having these same symptoms. I went to lick something off my thumb and was met w/ a horrid bitter taste. I got up and washed my hands immediately. I licked my lips while washing and found that the taste was also on my lips and the surrounding (outside) skin. I washed my mouth as well. It did not work. Eventually the taste went away, but only to return in sporadic moments. I don't understand it. And oft at times it brings fatigue with it - I noticed no one has mentioned that, but I find that when this taste appears - I become fatigued and lethargic.
I am an avid drinker of tea from one of the larger franchises we have (don't want to say which one). I get it the same way everyday - cream and 2 sugar. I've noticed that the "taste" on my lips and skin sometimes appear after or while I am drinking this. Are any of you tea drinkers? It might not be from the company itself - it may just be in the tea leaves?
I'm a little nervous with this. There are so many shortcuts being made today to make things last longer, to stretch things out, etc.... How do we know that they aren't doing this to our food and drink? And how do we know if something is in it or not? I know this is purely speculative and might sound over the top, but I find it hitting my nerves reading everyones account above and having mine own as well. It's scary; it's nerve wracking.
Please advise if any of you are tea drinkers. My conern lies w/ that at this moment. And if any of you go to a certain 'franchise' - let me know with a hint. Thank you!
No, I don't drink tea.  I do drink coffee (instant) and it's the same brand for years.  I have fatigue as well.  I've been telling my husband that I must be coming down with something during all of this.  I have had some stomache discomfort, neck stiffness, (for over a week like you get with the flu), as well as the nasty taste on my skin.  I am so bothered by this because in all of my life I've never experienced anything like it.  It's not a bad taste in my mouth either.  I realize that people would be skeptical and tell me that it probably just seems like it's my skin and that the taste must be coming from my mouth instead. This is NOT the case. I've verified this with my family (jokingly).  I had both my husband and my teenage boys.  When they taste my finger, they describe the same nasty, bitter taste.  They even tell me that it lasts in their mouth for some time.  YUK
Hey.. I will say that I have used canned air for the first time in years starting about a week ago.  This would coorelate with when my symptoms started.  However, I haven't used it every day.  For example, today I didn't use my computer at all til right now.  Now, all of a sudden I have the taste on my lips.  So, I'm thinking that maybe it's left a residue on my keyboard?  I hope this is what is causing it.  Very strange.
I think Innanni is correct!  I'd bet you all have purchased canned air with the bittering agent. I went and checked the new can of canned air I bought a couple of weeks ago.  I've been using it to clean my keyboard.  Sure enough it has a new lable explaining a bittering agent has been added. I'd bet it's left a residue on my keyboard.  I'm going to test this on my family (lucky them) :-)
I just googled my bitter taste and found these postings. I have been going nuts wondering what is wrong. I can wash my hands and face and the bitter taste comes back. It's awful. I was thinking it had to be something at home I was touching because it doesn't happen at work or when I went away for the weekend. I washed then I checked my hands and lips and didn't have any bitter taste. After being on my computer (keyboard and mouse) awhile it came back. I felt like I was being poisoned but I think it is the canned air - I used it recently on my desk, keyboard and mouse. The can 3M brand doesn't say there is a bittering agent in it. So I am still wondering if that is culprit. If so, I won't buy anymore canned air. I am still worried about this.
Thank god I'm not alone, is all I can say! I, too, have noticed just within the past week or so that when I lick my lips, I experience this offensive bitter taste! I, too, also tasted the skin on my hands and arms and noticed it there as well.  I have been recently taking Prevacid, as well as Synthroid. I was taking 25 micrograms of the Synthroid, but after a recent visit with my thyroid doctor, I now take 75 mg. Will make me very selfconscious the next time I kiss someone!
I have also just started having bitter taste on my lips, hands and arms etc.  This just started 4 days ago.  Even when I pick up my food with my fingers the bitter taste is transferred to the food.  As long as I use a fork I am o.k.

I haven't changed anything in my diet or medications.  Thank goodness I have to see my doctor tomorrow.  Hopefully she can give me some answers.
I just licked my keyboard and the bitter taste is awful! The 3M dust remover I used does have the bitter agent added. Unfortunately I have a tendancy to mess with my mustache while I'm working and it's apparently got on my lips. This sure sounds like the culprit. Someone should contact these companies and let them know it's NOT for use with keyboards or anything else that you intend to touch. It does NOT wash off.
What is worse... this stuff doesn't just make you bitter by touching it with your fingers.  Apparently if you inhale any of the fumes (which with normal use you will) it will be in your system and that's why your lips and such will have that unbearable bitterness.  You simply cannot use this stuff the way it was intended anymore.  I don't know how 3M is expecting anyone will ever buy this stuff again.  I also tried to wash my keyboard with a damp cloth to get the bitterness off and it didn't go away.  

Go ahead everyone, if you want to know what's making your skin taste bitter, lick your keyboards.  You may not even think you used it.  If you're in an office, I've heard that janitors use this while doing their rounds.  HEHEHE - wait, not funny!
I just bought some canned air this past weekend...and every since then when i would go to bite my nails..i couldn't get too far,lol..the metallic taste or bitter taste was awful..and i did lick my keyboard and it taste just like that taste i get when i try to bite my nails, but stronger...umm...but isn't there like plastic covers for keyboards?  Maybe, we should try to cover them after we clean them or something.  I have also been getting dizzy spells sitting here, where my canned air is, at my desk in my bedroom...its the only place where i feel like that...but maybe we have an answer.

So, I was approx. 12 hours off schedule with taking my Synthroid medication, and my salty-tasting skin actually came back-yipee! I thought perhaps there is an inactive ingredient in it that is found in other forms (ie, pestcides?) that some of us are being exposed to/having a reaction to (bitter-tasting skin) when we lick our lips. I called my thyroid doctor, but he's on vacation 'til next week. I thought the idea of pesticides on vegetation was interesting. In the meantime, as I wait for my body to get the active/inactive ingredients of Synthroid back into my system (even though my doc told me once it takes a while for Synthroid to completely leave ones system), I've read the recent posts about the air cans used for keyboard cleaning: I don't use them on my laptop; however, as Doddlin pointed out 2 posts above, it could very well be the keyboards at work-unfortunately, I don't dare lick the keyboards at work-I'll probably come down with something far worse than this bitter-tasting skin issue!  Will try to post when I hear from my doc next week (or whenever he's back from vacation!)...ps...I also haven't been in contact with any keyboards at work for approx. 40 hours or so...I might just ask a few people at work if they happen to have this symptom!
Does anybody with this bitter-tasting skin issue happen to NOT use a keyboard/computer? We need to figure out a common denominator... ;)

How are you?
Some of the causes of bitter taste in the lips can be a dry mouth, tooth or gum decay. Smoking, diabetes and underactive thyroid can also interfere with taste sensation.
Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Hmm, so what's causing it with me??
I'm not on any meds of any kind- no prescription, no over the counter, no suppliments.
I don't use compressed air on anything- I don't work outside the home so no one is sneaking around using it on my keyboard without me knowing about it- we don't even have any in our home.
I'm rarely outside so it's not something coming down from the skies getting on me.

Still confused....
WOW - I don't know what to say about those having the bitter taste but don't used canned air.  I hope it's not as bitter as the bitterness I experienced from the canned air because it was sooooo strong that I couldn't cope, kiss my husband, eat food, etc.  I hope you all figure this out.  Good luck and keep us posted.
After reading all of your postings, I agree with the can air duster theory.  I am a big fan of the air duster and use it on a regular basis.  Not only on my keyboard but on picture frames, knick knacks around the house and my kids toys to name a few things.  Yesterday I went threw 3 cans doing an extensive cleaning of our playroom, den and girls room.  At one point I felt it in my throat and the taste was very bitter.  I read the can and it said use in well ventilated area.  So I figured that was the problem. Not one window or door was open because the AC was on.  All night and this morning I have had the taste on my lips and fingers.  So, reading your posting and then realizing I used 3 cans yesterday, I do think that is the problem, at least mine.  Good luck!  Hope you find definite answers and the taste clears up.
I do not use the canned air. I went through all cleaning supplies and none list the "bittering" agent. I work from home and no one sprays anything on my keyboard or in the air in my home. Yes, I admit I too have tasted my keyboard but alas no bitter taste. In reviewing the above comments and questions, I do not have any of the illnesses nor use any of the products mentioned. Do any of you take vitamin D or drink bottled water? I'm wondering if maybe bottle water has had a change simply because that is something that would easily be a common denominator.

An interesting note is this week I managed to get poison ivy rash. Since childhood I have been one to break out severely and prescription meds haven't helped me. We learned from an older woman when I was little that bleach would not only remove the oil of the poison ivy but would help cause the rash to clear up quickly if caught early. So when I realized I'd just come in contact with it I quickly washed with bleach. Later I felt on my face and arms the familiar itch and pain so I washed with bleach again and repeated the process for a couple of days. I noticed on the second day as I licked my lips that I did not have the bitter taste and it’s been a day or two and its not back. My skin seems to be back to normal now after washing with the bleach.

I'm wondering if with different things in the air and it being allergy season if there was something that got on our skin through the air and normal soap and water won't remove it. Also, with all the fires in California and the pollutants that are put in the air, that the jet streams push across the country. Our weather and air are affected by many things is that possible, for something to settle on and into our skin and require something strong to clean it off? Maybe some people's bodies take longer to break something like that down and flush it through the system so we experience this bitter taste thing?

I know that washing your hands, face, arms and legs with bleach doesn't sound appealing and yes, it smells for a bit, but you are not soaking in the bleach, so the smell will quickly fade. Is anyone that is still affected and not using the canned air willing to give the bleach a try for a couple of days and see what happens? :)

Keyboard people... are your keyboards fairly new as in purchased within the last 6 months or less? Are they wireless with wireless mouse? Just curious...

Ok enough of my rambling thoughts and questions for one night! Thanks for reading!
There are two common denominators that we do have in common that we might want to focus on: one is that, I'm assuming,  neither one of us has ever experienced this in our lives before, and two: with the exception of our first poster, KayR1968, experiencing the bitter taste in October of 2007, the rest of us started experiencing this just since May of this year. I think if we focus on this short timeframe, we may start finding our answer(s). I have an appointment with a dermatologist on the 20th of this month for an initial consult about something unrelated, but I will for sure be asking about this skin thing. Maybe there exists some type of skin analysis test based on our symptoms? One thing I do find peculiar is that I noticed my normal saltiness on my days off from work-I think maybe we need to keep a journal of when it tastes bitter the strongest, and if/when we notice our normal salty taste again?
This is a continuation from my directly-above post. This is really strange, but I seem to have my salty-tasting skin when I'm home on my days off, but when I'm at work, it's back to bitter!!!  I called someone in our safety-related department, since this could be chemically related?-I work in manufacturing in a biotech-related facility-but haven't yet spoken with the individual-will keep you all posted...
Strongly agree with innanni. I too experienced same problem a week before and again Today. Both the time I did cleaned my laptop keyboard.
I have this too.  It started the day after I put a new furnace in (no change to ducts, and a closed-system very clean new unit).  I've had it checked, charged the air filter, and no luck.  But it's worst when I'm home, and almost goes away when I travel for work, so I suspect it's some kind of environmental toxin or allergy.

I don't use compressed air, but I did start cleaning my keyboard with a wipe cleaner around the same time.
Does anybody use gloves, nitrile, latex, or otherwise, either for cleaning at home, or at work (ie, working in a sterile environment)?
RE:  keyboard issue.  My only computer is a laptop I use for work.  Since I bring it with me when I travel, and the taste goes away then, I am assuming whatever this is has nothing to do with the computer or keyboard.
After reading about the possibility of canned dust remover being the culprit I think this is what has caused my problem with bitter tasting lips and fingers.  I check with the canned dust remover I keep in another room with another computer and it doesn't mention it contains a bittering agent, but the can of 3M I started using about the same time the problem began says it contains a bittering agent. (I, too, touched my tongue to the keyboard and it's the same taste I have on my fingers and lips)
I too, have this problem. It's been happening for several weeks now. Also my eyes tend to burn and start watering sometimes with nothing provoking it. The bitter taste on my lips and when I lick my skin around my lips and on my hands is horrible.  We seem to have several with the same problems such as thyroid or compressed air and others with out it. I'm a 52 yr. old female. I use compressed air occassionally, not too often, I used to take synthroid, then I switched to levoxyl, and about 3 mos. ago I switched to the generic of levoxyl. I wondered if that was it. I've also just recently quit growing body hair. I haven't shaved under my arms for about 2 or 3 months now. On my legs it varies. If any hair grows it's only a small section down the front of my legs.  I went for 2 wks without shaving my legs, then all of sudden I grew a little bit of hair just in a strip down the front. There's the chin hair too, same thing. Quit, then started back just a small amount. I usually blame everything on my thyroid because it causes so many weird things to happen.  I also have pain and burning in my feet. I can sit and rest, then when I stand it's almost like needles sometimes in my feet. Other times, it's burning or just pain. I don't know if anybody else has any of these other symptoms or not. I'm on pain medications for osteoarthritis, levoxyl, just started an anti-depressant, and take a B-12 shot once a month. Just thought I would give you all of the facts so I could see if anybody else has any of the same problems I have. I sure would like to know what's causing the bitter taste though. I want to get rid of it, it's driving me crazy. Thanks, Becky
I googled  "wierd taste when I lick my lips" and found this... two things I have in common.... Thyroid medication and the 3M Dust remover.... which I just discovered by reading the label.. is NOT canned air... geeze what a dummy!   I clean my keyboard, desk....office.... computer... and since I am in charge of the computers at the office... I do this to about 8 other systems....  I started taking an anti depressant, a low dose of Zoloft a few months ago.... but only noticed the 'funky' lip taste over the last few months....  
In this one night I have licked my skin a dozen times, sure I must be nuts...then had my daughter lick my arm and tell me if it tasted bitter to HER (it did..,.so the good news is I am not nuts....well, not any moreso than usual anyway).

I will tell you this....while reading these I, of course, bent right down and licked my keyboard. It tastes  exactly like my skin only 1000 times more concentrated (and the bitterness on my skin and lips is pretty darn concentrated bitter taste).

This is so WEIRD.  I feel like I am afraid my breath must smell like this...or that my skin must put off this odor.  I have never even had to wear deoderant, I have always been so lucky to have a nice smell about me.

I will just keep checking this post and see if any of you who are going to the doctor find anything out.  In the meantime, I am going to do a bit of research and start documenting the things I am trying (such as oxygenating my mouth with an oral rinse, avoiding using the canned air on the computer, disinfecting my computer keyboard--though I've not figured out with WHAT yet.....etc).

If worse comes to worse...I suppose we can all gather somewhere and become our own society of BFSP (bitter finger and skinned people)!

Historically...I hate to say this but....I suspect we will not be keenly accepted as our country has never really embraced the idea of diversity. If any of you bitter tasting comrads out there happen to be a civil rights attorney, let us know.  We may need to call upon you as we rally for acceptance.

Unless of course....we should find this is not a permanant condition.

Best of luck to everyone

I had an appointment with a dermatologist yesterday and asked him about the bitter taste. He said it could be a million things-that was it!!!  Not too helpful at all-thanks a lot, doc! Didn't attempt to even ask me ONE question to rule out 'something'! Anyway, within the last week or two, I developed a skin rash which the doc diagnosed as pityriasis rosea, a harmless, supposedly noncontagious skin rash-has anybody come down with THIS, by any chance?!?
Do any of you use acne medication, more specificlly salicylic acid?

Like found in nuetrogena's rapid spot remover?

Please let me know so we can find some commonality in our situation.
I have experienced the same taste on my lips and hands- more concentrated on my fingers then hands, as well. At first i thought it was chapstick, but when i couldnt wah it of i was discouraged by that theory.   The day i got this taste i had been using my dads comp which i know he has sprayed with compressed air before so im leaning towards that theory so far.

about 30 min ago i visciously went at my teeth with toothpaste and toothbrush because the taste was so unpleasant and disconcerting

so far it seems to have worked. i have not licked my keyboard but if i find that the taste comes back after using my computer then i may resort to that. if this is not the cause i dont know what else is

FYI- i am a 16yr old female, i use proactive which contains salicylic acid like DrVswan asked but i have used proactive for years and have never had this problem. As for any other syptoms (symptoms) i cant be exactly sure. Im sore and aching but i attribute that to current feminine issues. I also live on the east coast (someone theorized it might have to do with location.) I have soreness in my neck from two years ago when i had a close call with lyme meninjitis so i dont know if anyone else is experiencing this as result of the same condition. i have not been spending a lot of time outside lately. School has started recently i dont know if this is related.

Just thought id add my symptoms to the mystery...
Ok  ok ok ok ok--- I too am having the same problem.  If it is the duster... then why the heck would it be on my lips???  I have been paying close attention to this lately.  My husband has even commented about an odor (like lithium-metallic) small to me.  
  --  I CLEAN REGULARLY... I SHOWER, I BRUSH MY TEETH JUST HOW I WAS TAUGHT.... so I am baffled as well.
What the heck?
I am a 34yr old female and I have been wondering why my skin tastes bitter. My coworkers thing I'm nuts. Thank god for Google. I do use the cannned air on my laptop. I also use Proactive but I've been usinf that for 1 yr. The bitter taste has been in the last 2 weeks. Is anyone having stomach problems? I know several doctors and they haven't heard of the bitter tasting skin. They asking around and looking into it. If we all ate the same things it might explain it if our bodies were pushing out some excess. I can't believe it but I did lick my laptop (now my coworkers really think I'm nuts) but it is the same taste only a lot stronger. Hopefully we can get an actual answer from someone soon.
I am a 23 year old male also experiencing the same symptoms. My girlfriend has been also but only when she is over here, usually after using the computer. I use no proactive but i do use crc duster canned air. I really believe that has something to do with it now. Also live in Alaska so I don't think location has anything to do with it.
I had the same symptoms & some turkey had cleaned my keyboard with the compressed air.  That was the problem.  Thanks for all the comments.
I, too have this and it started when I got a new mattress.  I did some searching on web.  Pillows, mattress, mattress toppers are now treated with some super duper chems for fire retardation.  The tase that I have taste like formaldahyde smells.   So, am very curious, how many have new or fairly new mattress, waterbed or otherwise, pillows or toppers or covers?
I had this happen to me as well, hence I am in this forum reading about it.

I understand that some of you aren't exposed to canned air or at least think you aren't.  So I have no explanation for you at this time, Denatonium Benzoate is a popular bittering agent and you may want to check your environment for it...it is even found in antifreeze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium

I can tell you though that if you have been exposed to canned air then I am 99% sure that you have solved the problem.  Like many have said already...someone at work may be using the canned air on your computer keyboard or some other device, and the residue gets picked up by your fingers and absorbed into your system.  If you personally use the canned air then inhalation could be the culprit as well.

I have also read some strange posts like watch the skies...come on now.  Occams Razor states that the simplest solution is normally the correct solution.  So if you have used canned air stop speculating on what else it can be...you are just adding more variables that people who are trying to solve the problem don't need.

If you are one of those who don't understand the connection between using canned air and having a bitter taste on your skin and lips when you obviously didn't spray your mouth then consider this.  When your body absorbs Denatonium Benzoate, a popular bittering agent, your body will excrete it through your skin and lips causing them to taste bitter.

The reasoning behind the bittering agent is so that kids don't "Huff" the stuff for the brief 15 to 30 second high.
I googled "bitter taste" because I noticed for the first time the bitter taste on my lips, hands, arms, and fingernails.  I have also transferred it to everything that I eat with my hands.  This just started last night after I arrived home and fixed myself a cup of tea to warm up.  I thought the taste was because I was so angry at my husband.  I know, sounds stupid, but then so does tasting bitter.  It came on so suddenly.  On my way home from work I freshened my lipstick, ate a candy bar and drank a Pepsi extreme.  Definitely didn't taste anything strange.  I don't use canned air on my keyboard at work.  It's too dusty to assume some else does.  I do have a Thyroid disease which I am not being treated for currently or taking meds.  (Hoshimoto's Thyroiditis or something)  I am currently undergoing test for Gallbladder disease.  I have confirmed Hypoglycemia and Acid Reflux.  I am a Registered Dietitian so I know about food interactions but I have not changed my diet.  My only meds are Seasonal birth control and Allegra.  This is so totally freaky.  I was actually laughing about this at work today.  It's no longer funny.  I had no idea that so many people were having this problem.  What's really scary is that it all seems to be pretty recent.  Being a self admitted conspiracy hound, I'm not pretty concerned.  I hopefully see my GI doc this friday.  I hope that I gon't get crazy looks.  I'm not even taking my Zantac for my GERD because I hate meds.  I just cut back on my fats which also calms my gallbladder.  I am allergic to mold and have noticed some spots in my home.  Anybody with the same.  I also developed a small bump/lesion on the bridge of my nose on monday.  The strange taste came on tuesday.  I usually get compliments on my clear even toned skin.  I thought it was a pimple, but it hurts, is brighht red and is not clearing at all.  Maybe coincidence.  I don't know.  Just trying to put it out there in case anyone is experiencing same.  Always have sore neck and back from military injury so hard to say for certain.  I am female and 40.  Thank you all for posting.  Please add more as you know.
I also have this bitter taste on my lips and I have noticed my breath (even though I brush and floss regularly) smells different.  I have started using meds for high cholesterol--but also used the canned air with the bitter agent on my keyboard recently as well....this is very puzzeling
Denatonium Benzoate is present in a lot of alcohol-based liquid hand sanitizers.  I'm thinking this is the culprit.  
Also, Denatonium Benzoate is present in skincare products that contain alcohol.  This compound appears to be safe.  It is added to the alcohol in such products in order to deter people from consuming them to get drunk.
Hi All
I have had a bitter taste on my lips but also in my mouth, feels like I am being poisoned. The only thing I can describe the taste to is paracetomol or the stuff you put on your nails to stop biting them.  This has been going on for 3 days and I thought maybe i was allergic to something? I take antihistamines every day anyway due to allergies so I dont know.  Just feel like I have ingested something bad.

I used to have an overactvive thyroid but it settled down sometime ago and I am now off medication but I feel it may be connected as I also feel 'trembling' inside and my pulse rate is sky high(same as when I had the overactive thyroid).  I am also getting quite big spots on my face and neck and i never get spots! I am 42... arms and neck have been aching quite bad for a few weeks

Anyone have any ideas?  I may get myself to the docs this week if it doesnt improve as I cant stand it anymore

Thanks in advance (here's hoping)
Hey guys!

Just some background before I go into things:

I'm 23, Male, live in the Midwest in an apartment with a toy-breed dog and operate many electronics and have a stable diet, currently not on ANY medication at all.

The canned air theory seems to be sound, as the first time I experienced this strange symptom it was shortly after using a can of it several months ago.

I also have noticed that it always seems to happen on a tuesday, which is relevant for several reasons: Tuesday is the day me and my dog go jogging in the park, I always then take him to the petstore to shop around, get food from a nearby restaurant, go home, and do some more exercise.

Some theories: It's something being used to fertilize/sterilize plants that we eat, the days I get them (Which are always tuesday, but not EVERY tuesday) I eat out, because I have my health in mind because of all the exercise, I tend to order -STEAMED VEGETABLES- as a side. Even if it's nothing new in your diet, keep an eye on what IS going into your diet, keep a journal every time you get the bitter lips of what you ate that day, after about the third time, if you see a pattern of a certain vegetable (I'm betting on broccoli) then we can get a step closer.

Also, as I spend a lot of time outdoors, it could be weed-killers used in the park, or a wildlife repellant of some kind.

I come home and exercise, which makes me very sweaty, and also -CIRCULATES THE AIR IN MY BEDROOM-, so it's possible it's the canned air, which has settled into my carpet, on the walls, or inside the electronics. Circulating the air causes the particles to get back onto my skin, and because I'm sweaty from exercise, it -STICKS, AND CAN BE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO WASH OUT-

If everyone could work together, and keep a list of your day's activities when this happens to you, from snacks you ate, places you went, and what room you were in when you did things, I am 100% certain that with as many people have posted, we'll get to the bottom of this.
Denatonium Benzoate - bittering agent. Now even your freedom to use pure compressed air how you please has been taken away.
This is SO bizarre.... I have been experiencing this metallic, almost ink-like taste on my lips and finger tips for about a week now... thought I was going crazy, but had my boyfriend try it and even he agrees that it tastes somehow bitter or metallic even.  It does seem to go away later in the evening, or maybe it's just because I lick my lips more often during the day?  Either way it's extremely strange and I don't think I use anything any of the posts mentioned... canned air, no.  Although I did use glitter spray about a week and a half ago... thought it might be a problem?  Idk.  It was for a halloween costume I made.  Hmm... it's completely weird to me though, and I think mine might be slightly different than just bitter, I would even consider it newspaper ink tasting.  Well... maybe someone will come up with a reason, until then... I shouldn't worry, right?

Btw I'm 20 and have just moved to New Mexico from Ohio, not sure if these locations have anything to do with it, but just in case.
Hello everyone. I'm a 30 year old female and I've been having this problem for a couple weeks now. I had it about a month ago and it went away. But now it's back. It's hard to eat anything now. I'm not on medication except I take Advil for headaches.

The idea of the canned air is interesting. but what about this? could the bitterness be transferring from our fingers to the keyboard? My sister uses canned air as well and she is having no problems. She's helping me find solutions to this problem as well and she came across this....

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/581747

also... she came across an article that was talking about dehydration, which makes sense. If your body is trying to process waste without proper fluid, there is nowhere else for the toxins to go, other than through our pores.

This is driving me crazy tho!
Don't know why this comes to mind or even if it could happen but I wonder if carbon monoxide has a taste.  Even with a newly installed furnace you can have a leak if not installed properly.
Im 28 live in uk last few days started gettin this taste i thought it was my lip gloss but today found out was around nd on my skin
its like nailvarnish remover..im not sure about the canned air theory?
maybe its diet?
medication is reductil a diet pill ive been on em for year now
i use basic cleaning agents as i have a puppy and trouble on the carpet
i wear gloves when doing so and mostly scrub carpet with washing powder same brand ive always had
only last few days its come out so im booking to see doctor tomorow!
if i find out ill re-post as there dont seem to be any answers =s
I have been experiencing this bitter taste on my lips for the last week or so and after reading tonight, realized the taste is also on my fingertips.  I just started to use the 3M canned air on my laptop keyboard about a week ago.  After reading the above comments, it makes sense on a timeline that this in fact could be the culprit.  To reassure me evenmore, my 6 year old daughter was playing a Barbie game on my laptop tonight and after she was done she told me she had a "funny" taste on her lips!!  After she said this, it sparked my interest to see if there were any others out there that are experiencing the same thing.  I am appreciative to whomever thought about the 3M canned air -  I will never use it again to clean my keyboard.  To the others who do not use canned air - I hope you have some luck in finding what your symptoms are from.  
A week ago I began to notice a bitter taste on my lips and fingers at different times throughout the day as well. Around that time, I purchased some new 3M canned air and cleaned my laptop keyboard. (I hadn't used canned air for at least six months.) After reading these comments, I realized the taste typically occurs when I'm on my computer. I read the label on the can to find it "contains a bittering agent to help discourage substance abuse." In my case, I'm sure it's the canned air causing the bitter taste on my lips and fingers. I'm so glad I found this site because I don't think I would have figured this out otherwise.
Wow!  It sometimes happens to me too... .  I don't think it's uncommon at all.  I think the bitterness is caused by different things for everyone.  I'm sure most people actually have this and just don't realize it and wouldn't admit to licking there arm to find out anyway.  

Even if you don't use the same products we all are out there in the world full of chemicals we don't really want in our bodies. However, since we can't live in bubbles we come in contact with and "absorb" these things in our bodies. Either through touch, breathing, eating, drinking, and so on.  

It's obvious we all use keyboard and are around electronics.  ??Ever ready the warning lables an just an extension cord or even Christmas lights???? Wash your hands immediately after handeling... they contain lead.  Think about what is in our drinking water.  Bottled water is't too much better depending where you live. Basicly it's just filtered tap water.  
I've notice that when I have too many minerals (from drinking min. water and vitiams) it's worse for me.  
well i have been experiencing the same thing once in a while.started around 4 years ago and I'm 27, male, from turkey so i don't think location has to do anything with it. secondly i don't use canned air so you can eliminate it too. But as some of you guys had said in older posts this bitter taste mostly bringing fatigue along with it or vice verse. Since i experienced this symptom many times i figured this symptom happens to show when I'm extremely tired, to be more specific when i stay awake over 24 hours or more. what i know is that the neurons renew themself only when we are asleep so this could be relevant. i used some antidepressants in the past but it was a long time ago ( roughly 4 years ago). so if most of you guys have sleep disorder, this could be the answer maybe?
This started for me about 3 weeks ago.  It is just a funky bitter, metallic taste on my lips and fingertips.  It is not in my mouth.  I don't have any ailments and I am not on any type of medication.  I don't even take vitamins.  I haven't change my diet.  I don't clean my keyboards with any of those air cleaners.  So I have no idea what this is.  I'm 40 years old, and I live in Houston.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  It is very strange.  I'm gong to make a doctors appointment since no one can find any answers.
Male, 51, UK, taking Lansoprazole for reflux for 12 months. Noticed this bitter taste on fingers, lips and arms coming and going in recent days. Thanks to all who posted earlier. I have licked the keyboard of the shiny new laptop and looked at my lifestyle critically. Postulating Denatonium BenzoateI the culprit, I considered the new pillows on the bed but figured I would just have to have smelt something. We use industrial alcohol (isopropal) with very bad hygiene practices at work - in effect I wash my hands with it! We changed supplier/brand recently. This looks to be the best candidate. I will investigate and report.
I'm in the Philippines, I started experiencing this a few months back. It comes and goes but haven't really noticed what was causing it. And just today I thought of looking it over the net and was shocked on how many and geologicaly spread people who are experiencing this.

I take mult-vitamins to strengthen the immune system (lots of Vit C sometimes 1000 mg and E) and also regularly use alcohol as a body disinfectant (on hands and feet). I have detoxed a year ago and its also after that that I noticed this bitterness.

There could be point there in the detox theory (citing karmicjewel Nov 16, 2008 12:41AM). I havnt read everything but its great to know there are people helping out here. Thanks everyone for the posts!
I have the same bitter taste and it seems like it just started within the last 2 months.  Thought it was because of the medication I was taking for my cold and cough but I still have the taste on my lips and fingers and hands.  I have been trying to figure out what this was for about 3 weeks now.  It is driving me nuts!  Glad to hear others out there like me have it but need to know what to do about it.  
I have the same problem.  I just started taking Acai Berry.  That's the only thing different.  Maybe that is it.
I am a 55yo male in western Kentucky and have recently had the same issue of bitter tasting skin - hands, lips, other parts of body.  It kind of tastes like wax.  On the other hand, the taste appears in to two places where I have had molars/teeth removed ... I did add Vitamin D to my diet a few weeks back; and I have read that Calcium + Vitamin D might lead to a metalic taste in the mouth.  I am going to stop taking the Vitamin D to see if that improves the situation for me.  (I do not use canned air.)  It is very strange.
Same exact symptoms here with everyone who uses compressed air on their keyboards.  Fingertips and lips taste bitter, everything else is normal.  It's more a nuisance if anything.

Very interesting.  Perhaps I shall contact the company and complain?  And this bittering agent better not be harmful.
I can't believe I found this and solved the mystery of my bitter tasting skin!  I used 3M compressed air on my keyboard right before I discovered this problem.  Thanks to all who posted!
Thanks so very much for all of your posts! 3m computer dust remover is defiantely what caused my bitter lips and hands! I discovered the taste today......then my 11yr old daughter started complaining of the same bitter lips! I freeked out and started "googling"! I found this site and as soon as I started reading I knew I found my culprit! I used that stuff on my laptop this morning....my daughter started using my laptop a little later! I am currently using my husbands laptop just to avoid mine!! :o)
So far no amount of hand washing or wiping of the keyboard is working.
I will be watching this site for anyone who figures out a way to get rid of it!!  Next stop for me.....3M website to complain and look for help getting rid of the problem!

Good Luck Everyone
i just read the last post and i agree that it must be the canned air. i have had this nasty taste on my fingers and i noticed it sucking butter from red lobster biscuits off of my fingers. i cleaned my keyboard yesterday and today and that is when i had the problem. why doesnt washing your hands help?? i guess it has to go away on it's own. the can of 3M canned air dust remover even says on the bottle that it contains a bittering agent to help discourage inhalent abuse. that is B.S. that we are all sufering because there are losers that like to suck on canned air...
The canned air products do contain a bittering agent. I use them myself.
When you spray them in the air the bittering agent will cover what ever it comes in contact with. This effect can last from several hours to several days. Many other products also contain bittering agents to discourage people, animals and children from eating them. Look on the internet for information about the bittering agent used in CRC Duster.
Good Luck to everyone.
OMG!!!  I have been stressing about this for several months now.  I even told my neurologist and she had no clue what it could be.  Reading through all these post i realized that i too use 3m dust remover w/the bitter tasting agent.  I licked my keyboard and sure enough it's the same taste that is on my fingertips and lips.  I think the compressed air is the culprit.  
Like someone mentioned, it is probably the Denatonium Benzoate.  I started noticing a strange, bitter taste on my lips about a week ago when I lost my chapstick.  And a couple of weeks ago, I had started using a polish to help to keep me from biting my nails.  That's what my lips tasted like, the polish, even though I am obviously not putting nail polish on my lips.  And I haven't been biting my nails, because I know that polish tastes nasty, so it isn't even as if I am biting my nails and somehow the bitter taste can rub off on my lips.  I'm sure most of you have heard someone say that anything you put on your skin, like chemicals in lotions or makeup, gets absorbed quickly into your bloodstream.  That is logical.  But this seems almost like whatever is being put into our systems is entering our bodies and somehow coming back out again through our pores.  I know that sounds ridiculous and impossible, but it's the only explanation that I can think of at the moment as to why we all have bitter skin or lips, considering that we all have been using products containing Denatonium Benzoate without using them on the areas that taste bitter.  
Like many of you, I am glad to see other people experience bitter tasting lips. For me that is the only issue. The rest of my skin are fine and mouth is ok.  I was starting to wonder if I needed to call the doctor. The only medication I take is prilosec and this never caused a problem befor.

On monday (today is thursday) I not just spent a half hour trying to clean out me keyboard with 3M Dust Remover. Since then, I don't recall noticing the bitter taste in the morning,but sometime during the day I notice it. The stuff must linger on the keyboard. As I read the bottle I have at home, it does say harmful if inhaled. It is hard not to breath while using it....
i am a 34 yr old woman.  i have LITERALLY had a bitter taste on my skin (my upper lip and fingers). i liked my space bar. it tasted REALLY bad. even 1000 times worse as mentioned above. which keys are people licking? i thought about licking the "L" for lick or the "t" for tongue or "b" for bitter or "3" for 3m but thought the space bar would sum it all up. it was horrible. i have ingested some kind of chemical and now i taste it on my skins and other parts. i thought it was my gf but turns out tis my keyboard.
I am having the same symptoms, and I also think it's the aerosol can!  I NEVER use the product, but I used it the other day and noticed that the inhalant was in the air when I breathed in.  I read the back because the taste was horrible and it does say that they add a bitterant to prevent inhalation.  Since three days ago, I have a very bitter taste on my hands lips and arms.  I believe it's from the product because nothing else has changed.  I did not wipe down my keyboard so I think I'm just rubbing my hands in it.  Rubbing my arms or lips has spread this...  I don't know how to get rid of it, but mouthwash seems to work in the mornings so I don't taste it as much.  I just wonder if this is dangerous for my health!!
I, too, thought I was crazy. Every time I licked my finger, only at home, to turn a page when reading, I was horrified at the strong bitter taste. So, tonight, for the first time, I googled and found all of you people.  I read most of the comments, and then remembered that I'd seen a can of compressed air in the laundry room. I asked my husband what he uses it for - keyboards (computer and electronic piano), that I play often. I then had him lick my finger, and he wasn't sure. He then took the can from my hand, sprayed his own hand and licked it - and my, oh  my!  The look on his face. I then licked his hand and it was the exact same bitter taste that I've been tasting on my skin, only much stronger. For me, that's the answer. Hope this bit of info helps. The can does state "Contains Bitterant Additive to help discourage inhalant abuse."

I will contact the company, Digital Innovations, and see what happens.
I have sent an email to Digital Innovations - hopefully they will respond.
Donna2846
Have you been cleaning your keyboards with that horrible, nasty tasting pressurized air cans? It took me a few months to figure out that this is the reason for my bitter tasting hands and everything else I touch with them. My husband thought it was in my head until he started using my laptop and he realized he was bitter too. That's when I put two and two together and since then I had others confirm as well. Relax, you are not going to croak of some unknown disease.
Today is the 2nd day this has happened (strange taste on lips) and both times I was feeling anxious when it happened. My heart was racing a bit and had chest tightness. The first time I was very angry which caused the chest tightness and heart racing -this time just more anxiety. I am thinking that my body is secreting some sort of adrenaline type substance - or something like that.  I haven't been able to read all posts yet but I don't use canned air and have not use any aerosol product at the times this happened.
I have recently been experiencing these same symptoms (bitter taste on lips and skin - not in my mouth, just the outside) for about 7 days now.

It just so happens, that 7 days ago I purchased and have been taking Vitamin D pills.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms while taking Vitamin D?
I also have a bitter taste on my skin.  I first thought it was just my lips, and so I thought it was the toner I was using, although I had been using it for some time without tasting anything.  I can wipe off my lips and that gets rid of it for a few minutes but it comes right back.

Now I notice it on my hands, and so I decided to try to taste other areas of my skin.  I can taste it on my face and faintly on my arms.  I do not taste it on my leg.  Sorry, that is about as flexible as I get.  

I do not take any medications, nor do I smoke.  I am healthy otherwise.  I am not prone to have weird unexplained illnesses and am not a hypochondriac.  I do not own a single product in an aerosol can and have never use canned air to clean my keyboard.  

I have been eating a lot of raw fruits and veggies but I have been doing that for 6 months and have not had this problem until a few days ago.  One thought I had was possibly farming chemicals, such as fertilizers and insecticides leaching out of my body through my skin.  Though possible, I think it's not likely.

The only other thing I have done recently that may have caused this is my husband and I are having the basement waterproofed, so he and I have been downstairs scrubbing the walls with bleach and laundry soap for the past 4 weekends in a row.  I have inhaled so much bleach fumes that it has made me feel very sick afterwards.  I saw that someone else mentioned using bleach as a possiblity and I think that this may be the cause.

If anyone know what this is please let me know.  It is really gross and I would like to learn the cause and cure.
It IS the canned air!  After having that bitter taste on my lips sporadically, I googled it and found this thread.  Sure enough, I had recently switched to the 3M canned air on my keyboard today and I'm getting that bad taste again.  And yes, the notice about the bittering agent is on the can.  I'm glad they're trying to reduce huffing, but I'm finding a new way to clean my keyboard, that is FOR SURE!  Thanks for the posts!
Mine wasn't canned air but rabbit shampoo.  I came here after experiencing exactly the same symptoms: a bitter taste on my skin, especially my hands and lips.  It tastes to me just like some medicine tablets do if they touch your tongue, like oral steroids for example, so I immediately thought I was emitting an abundance of some chemical in my sweat.

But after reading this thread I went around my house and tried to identify every single thing I touched today.  Each item that was suspect I tasted.  I recently gave my rabbit a bath in a new shampoo.  When I got to him I put some of his fur in my mouth and sure enough there it was!

I guess he was transferring it to my hands and my hands were transferring it to other parts of my body.  I have no idea why this shampoo tastes that awful but there's no doubt that is the culprit in my situation.  If this continues to bother you, I would recommend you try and determine each and every thing you touch in one day and investigate them until  you find the cause.
I highly doubted the canned air theory until i went snoopin through my boss's cabinets & found a new can. Looks like the mystery is solved for me too. I have started using the computer thats NOT in his office & the taste goes away. i licked his keyboard...YUCK, metal poison taste just like my lips, licked the one in the outer office, no taste. I dont have the sensations at home either so it has to be the cans, Thanks Ya'll!
I am so glad i am not nuts. i decided to google bitter tase because i have this problem for a month now. i do use air-diter for my computer. so i am thinkin gthis might be a reason. keep me posted if you find something else.
Cheers
It seems a lot of people are saying it's canned air that's been causing their problems with the bitter fingers and lips and such. It's great you guys found your answers, but what if you never touched stuff like canned air and such? D:

Recently, I've also had this issue with the bitter fingers and lips. Someone previously mentioned that maybe it had to do with antibiotics (which just so happened, I WAS on them.) but I haven't taken them in like a week. And for a while, the taste was gone. But I just licked my lips and they were extremely bitter. So I liked my fingers and they were the same! Unless the antibiotics had like a late effect on me, I don't understand why it's happening to me. D: Any answers that doesn't have to do with canned air or something would be nice. :[
It is definately the canned air, that explains all of my symptoms and I even licked my keyboard to prove it and it really does taste awful, thanks to whoever discovered it cause it was driving me nuts I am so glad that I did look at this blog !!!
I don't use compressed air, but I believe, for me, the culprit is hand sanitizer. I picked up some from the doctors office and since then I have been experiencing said weird bitter taste on lips and fingers.
Wow. I was starting to panic. Putting my tongue on my lips and it was so bitter that it almost made me sick, then I started to read the responses here and no one had a clue what it was untill I came upon tis post.

Phew! thats what it was for me, the damn air that I used to blow away the dust on my keyboard!!
i started reading thru this and was curious as to why it was recent and no one knew what it was, then i skipped down to the bottom and its the canned air! haha i just used canned air a few days ago on my keyboard...right b4 the bitter taste began on my fingers lmao. i couldnt help but laugh when i got to that answer, we were all like whats going on and we just dusted our keyboards! lmao. lol i just licked my keyboard and that is defo it! lmao.
haha and i just checked my canned air and it says contains bitterant lmao
I thought it was in my mind -- like a symptom of a brain tumor. But then I got on here and saw that some of you had your loved ones "taste" you, so I asked my husband to lick the top of my finger and you should have seen his face. I don't use any kind of computer cleaner or air and hadn't been on my computer at all when it started today. The first time it happened I thought it was our tap water. Then I thought soap got on the water glass. Now I have no idea. The only thing I have in common with the writers above is I take Synthroid. But I've been on the same med and dose for years and am in the middle of a 90-pill supply, so why would it suddenly happen now? I wish someone knowledgable would get on here and give us an answer.
Oh my gosh, thank you, thank you.   I have had the same bitter taste on fingers and lips.......I thought surely I must have something terribly wrong with my liver............and yet, I did clean all of my computer keys a couple of weeks ago.   I was going to call and make Dr. appt. tomorrow.  I think this should be more clear on the labeling of these products.   I can go to sleep feeling much better tonight.......bitterness and all!  Gaye1937
I have the exact same problem as everyone, yet i don't use any air dust cleaners at all, neither at work nor at home, and there are other comments from people here saying the same thing but having the same problem. That's why your theories about the air dusters may be flawed.
I licked the keyboards at home and at work and they don't taste bitter at all, so what else could it be? Nothing has changed in my life and the problem started about end of May.
I do not remember who commented on this but it helped me to remember that the same thing happened to me. I have the same bitterness on my fingers and lips and remembered it first happnened when I had used my computer spray and now realize that each time it happens when I use my computer..

I wonder if this bitter taste they add to the computer spray is safe?? I can see that it surely would work for keeping someone from sniffing the spray... YUK!!!

I wonder why they don't put it in paint or glue????
Ok this started for me today. I used the can of air yesterday
Endust Duster.
How do I get rid of it>
If you're having this "symptom" then there is another product a lot of people have recently started using: hand sanitizer. I traced my bitter lips to it. Purell doesn't seem to do it but the generic Walgreens version does (because it has Benzophenone in it)? I'm pretty sure this is the cause.
I have had a bitter matallic taste in my mouth for a week now.
Food just don't taste good anymore.

Been taking vitamin D3 for two months, and got a b12 shot 2 weeks ago. Also I changed kitchen liquid detergent brand 2 weeks ago.
I have just come down with the same symptoms!

My lips are bitter, NOT my mouth... and I know this sounds weird but as I was reading all the other posts ...one of the posts mentioned the skin had a bitter taste and I tasted my skin and it tasted bitter like my lips!

I was very anxious today, I would say that I had high anxiety because I was starting a new clinical and going to a new place that was far from home and I was extremely nervous and reading one of your posts mentioning anxiety and adrenaline ....maybe that's a way some body's cope?

Any theory out there related to adrenaline and bitter skin/lips?
I was using a freeze away wart removed on some plantar warts on my feet, when the freezey can ran out. OK now what? I grabbed a can of 3M air duster **** - if you turn it upside down, it spews out an extremely cold liquid form of the compressed air. I used that to freeze the little wand that comes with the wart removal kit.

While it made the wand extremely cold, I guess it also made it very bitter. I believe my lips are tasting bitter today because I must have absorbed some of the bittering agent through my skin. It was very strong last night, and now it's only mildy noticeable.

I thought I was losing my mind last night, but I'm 100% sure the bitter taste is due to the 3M compressed air.
For those of you have found the 'canned air' to be the source of your problems good for you, but others like myself are pretty sure that the  Denatonium Benzoate is not the cause. I noticed that I have a common factor with a few of the other posters: I take Synthroid for a thyroid problem. Of the others posters who still don't have an explaination for their condition, I wonder how many of you might have an undiagnosed thyroid condition... I feel like this may be due to the thyroid since I have not changed my diet, medication(thyroid), routine, or introduced any new products. The bitter taste seems to be a by product excreted through the skin... but can't be 100% sure of that... Need to conduct a few more experimemts to try to narrow down the possibilities... That does NOT include licking my computer keyboard LOL....
A related discussion, Do you use Denatonium?  (Maybe without knowing) was started.

I also have this horrible taste on my skin. I am just wondering where everyone lives. I live on the west coast of Australia in the suburbs of the capitol city. I too have not changed diet, medication(antidepressants) or used any sort of cleaner on my keyboards. It has only been with me for the last 24hours but has been constant. I also got one of my teenagers to taste the back of my hand and she said that there was no taste but then it arrived on her tongue a few seconds later. All she could say was 'nasty'.

I am thinking that I will be going to the doctors this week because I cant live with the taste and it does affect the taste of my foods and drinks.
I found this thread after googeling "bitter keyboard" because I finally realized it WAS my computer causing this horrible taste, but wanted to know how to get it off.
Here's what I found on the 3M website FAQ:

* What is Bittering Agent?

* Bittering agent is an additive that leaves a bitter taste upon contact with one’s mouth. 3M added a bittering agent to 3M Dust Remover to help discourage inhalation abuse. The bittering agent itself is generally not harmful and is used in household cleaners and shampoos to deter intentional or accidental ingestion of these products. However‚ people with asthma or sensitivity to odors or taste may react to the bittering agent‚ and therefore‚ may want to avoid using 3M Dust Remover.

Abuse by inhaling 3M Dust Remover may cause instant death or injury. For more information on inhalant abuse‚ click here.

** How do I get the bittering agent bad taste out of my mouth?

** Dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue‚ resulting in a bad taste if transferred to the mouth. If you eat a piece of chocolate‚ or drink or eat some dairy products‚ it may help the taste to go away.

*** How do I get the bittering agent off my fingers?

*** Wash affected area with soap and water. If irritation occurs‚ get medical attention. ALWAYS hold container upright to avoid spraying liquid. Dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue.

**** How do I get the bittering agent off my keyboard?

**** To remove dried spray‚ wipe with a cloth dampened with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. ALWAYS hold container upright to avoid spraying liquid. Dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue.

***** Can I buy 3M Dust Remover that does not contain the bittering agent?

***** No. All 3M Dust Remover currently sold contains a bittering agent.

Hopes this helps folks with this issue, and good luck to the rest of you who have not found a solution yet.
Bittering agent probably has nothing to do with this, anything your skin is secreting to give it such a taste is all over your keyboard. I don't use keyboard cleaner and have all the same symptoms. I am discontinuing my multivitamin, but this metallic/bitter taste comes and goes. Sometimes I've noticed the opposite and I actually taste sweet. I'm a 22 year old male and live in the United States on the east coast. No changes in diet or medication.
Besides, bittering agent isn't going to be secreted all over your body if you are using keyboard cleaner as directed. I'm just pretty certain that's not possible.
I am a 30 year old male from the Philippines. I also noticed this strange bittery taste on my lips, fingers, and arms;. I just noticed this last week. I was wondering why my lips taste bitter so i clean it with soap. It seem to disappear but returned in time. I also started tasting my hands and it taste the same with my lips. I'm not taking any medications. Only seasonal antacids and multi-vitamins. I have been using Lamisil to cure a minor athletes foot for a week now. In office and at home, i occasionally use isoprpyl alcohol on my hands as disinfectant. My life was pretty stressfull for the past week due to work challenges. I am a civil engineer. I was not on field last week til present - only in office. Regarding discussions on canned air, i was using one last week but not the anti-dust 3M spray. I used a canned acrylic paint to change the color of a fairing on my vehicle. The bitter taste is scaring me alot. Its the first time i've experienced this.
I have the same symptom

I am currently using Differin and Cleocin for acne.  No compressed air or anything like that.  I did use hand sanitizer a few times at work.  I also drink a few cups of green tea...I just started the tea.
I wondered if I was going crazy, but after I searched and scimmed over all these posts I see I'm not. For me I realized it HAD to be the dust remover I put all over my laptop. It left a hardly detectable residue on it. And it is the same kind as others have listed. So I guess I just have to wait until it wears off! I'm not using that again!
Hi all, I am female, 24, from Ukraine. Today at the office I suddenly felt this awful metal taste in my mouth. It was so bad, that I went to the kitchen and thoroughly washed my hands and lips, but it did not go away. I tried to keep working but the taste was killing me. Then I decided to Google it. But I found only 1 single complaint on the whole territory of former CIS. And everyone seemed to laugh at that poor woman. So I decided to keep searching. And found all you guys. Yes, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not alone and more importantly that I am NOT crazy. I also tasted my fingers and hand - and the taste is everywhere but in my mouth. Reading all your posts I made some conclusions. All of you guys seem to divide into 3 major groups:
1. The ones, who think this taste is caused by their keyboards\laptops.
2. The ones, who think this taste is caused by using sprays, cleaning stuff and aerosols.
3. The ones who think it is caused by medicine\vitamins.

Well the 3rd group is not for me. I have not taken any vitamins nor medicine for at least 1 month.

Though my keyboard tastes VERY BAD, the same metal taste. I did not wipe it though with any cleaning stuff, it is a new HP laptop. What I was thinking. Maybe it is a bad quality plastic and after the laptop heats up it produces something that we transfer from our fingers to out lips and face?

I DID use aerosols. Plenty of them. Yesterday. I had guests and I arrange a huge cleaning before it. Using all kinds of crap. Maybe I was poisoned by smelling this stuff and now it is in my system and I just need some time to wait till it's gone?

What do you say? Does it sound right? Or am I unwell, like all of us, who came online to figure it out instead of going to doctor?

one more thing I thought about. This morning I also used spray deodorant in the bathroom. Maybe it is because I inhaled it... I was in a hurry and sprayed it way too much... could it cause the poisoning?
any of you guys use chap stick lip calm? if so that could be the cause every time after i put it on and it soaks into my lips the taste is there
yes i used aerosol sprays to clean laptop. also applied some facial creams. so it could either of those but most likely the sprays.

have had this bitter taste on my lower lip all day.
My case I believe to be a friend's alcohol-based hand sanitiser I used - liberally - today.  I note though that not everyone seems to be able to taste it, family member licked my finger and couldn't taste anything.  I cannot find information online about some people not being able to taste "the most bitter chemical compound known".  Anyone else know more?  Thought I was wierd before I found this forum.  Thanks guys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium
Answering my own question perhaps, depending on genetics, this chemical either tastes very bitter or of nothing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylthiocarbamide

No idea why they would use this, unless its cheaper than Denatonium...
I am 62yo male with the same problem of bitter skin so when I lick around my lips I taste a profound bitter taste. I feel fine otherwise but have had this now for a couple of days.
I have the same bitter taste when I lick my lips and skin.  After reading your posts, I have determined the cause.  I recently bought Petco brand "Itch Relief Spray" for my dog which has denatonium benzoate, which is the most bitter chemical compound known.  I have been spraying this on my dog and rubbing it into her skin.  Even though I immediately wash my hands, it is getting into my system.  According to Wikipedia, dilutions of as little as 10 ppm of denatonium benzoate are unbearably bitter to most humans but is not known to pose any long-term health risks.  Hmmmm?  I wonder.
SPOILER ALERT

you all cleaned your keyboards recently using duster or something similar haven't you? Lick your keyboard and you will likely get a familiar taste in your mouth. I'm not even kidding... this is why.
Yup, it's that stupid canned air!  Thank you!  I just cleaned my keyboard w/ a Clorox wipe...hope that gets rid of this nasty bitter taste.
Prolonged use of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride also used in sleep aids) produce this effect. Your mouth becomes dry and everything tastes bitter including food, lips, skin, teeth etc, however it is the lack of saliva that causes the bitter/metallic taste.
Don't swallow as often keeping saliva in your mouth,  breath though your nose to reduce drying of the mouth, gargle with vinegar and water.

Hope this helps.
I HAVE THIS TOO!!! i told my boyfriend to lick my face and hands and arm (kinky?) and he can't taste it. It's awful. it's bitter everywhere! also, my stomach has been messed up too. not sure if that's a coincidence or not. I, did, purchase, NaturVet Bitter Yuck to spray on furniture so my puppy doesn't bite stuff. It could be that. Does anyone else have that spray?
thank god there are so many folks out there who have this.
Hey! Im soo glad im not alone! I started getting these exact symptoms yesterday..licking my lips and tasting a awful, bitter taste..just like licking nail polish remover! I then licked my hands to see if it was there (it was) and asked other family members to lick as well ..they could all taste it too. I read this discussion today and noticed someone mentionong dehydration and how the body excretes toxins if there isnt enough water available. Well, yesterday  and the day before we had very hot weather which i stayed out in without drinking much. So about half an hour ago i tried drinking a large glass of water to see if it helped any. Well this is amazing, but im licking my lips now and the bitter taste has all but gone!!
Im pretty sure dehydration is all that was wrong. If like me you dont use this airspray thing, ask yourself if youve drunk much fluid recently and if not, i highly recommend taking a good big drink of water and seeing if the symptoms are still there. Sounds so simple, but i definitelyy think this could be our answer. Hope this helps !
lizi
I HAVE THIS TOO! my lips taste like how everyone else explains it, nail polish remover, and so to my finger tips. but i don't paint my nails or have used any kind of chemicals on my skin that i recall.
WAIT YES ITS THE KEY BOARD SPRAY CAN! I USED IT 3 DAYS AGO.. GOOD. I'M NOT CRAZY
I HAVE THIS TOO! my lips taste like how everyone else explains it, nail polish remover, and so to my finger tips. but i don't paint my nails or have used any kind of chemicals on my skin. BUT I USED THE KEY BOARD SPRAY! 3 DAYS AGO.. GOOD ITS JUST STUCK ON MY KEYBOARD
but why does the taste go to our lower lip though?
I am suffering the same thing which made me llok this up tonight this maybe PERIORAL DERMATITIS. I just happen to stumble upon this sight after looking up lip roscaea after reading someone who has roscaea saying this was roscaea so i looked up lip roscaea and found this sight: http://www.rosaceaguide.ca/basics/like_rosacea/perioral_dermatitis.html
i'm a 23 year old female and about 1-2 weeks ago i started experiencing some of these symptoms.bitter taste on my finger tips,my palms and once around my lips (not on,just around) which was also the reason to start searching.i also noticed that my eyes started hurting (really bad but only for a few minutes) when i scratch them.but nowhere else,not in my mouth,not on my lips,not on my arms.i don't take any meds or even vitams (although a have some allergy issues in the spring),i haven't used anything on my keyboard or the mouse (ever) and i use the same cleaning products and shampoo.i am a smoker and i have been on a diet (eating much more vegetables than i used to) for about 2 months.i also spend quite a time infront of my computer,but not on a daily basis.have any of you been to a dermatologist that has helped you? i'm from greece and if a go to a doctor he'll just laugh in my face.so,the only thing to do was some internet research.i was concidering that it had something to do either with the food (all those chemicals) or with the radiation from the screen (as i don't use any filters).if anyone has more information (maybe a doctor or even if you find something related on a medical site),please notice me as well! i'll post again if a come to a conclusion,though i doubt it :/
I am totally shocked and really freaked out i just googled this because my son saw me wipeing my lips and hands with a baby wipe and he said mom the other day i had a really bitter taste on my lips but not in my mouth i could not get rid of it...I was sitting there and my husband said yah i am having it right now and i said oh my GOD so am I i have been having this for like a month off and on and i have told no one and now my husband and my son are also having this right along with me..this is not ok in my book..something is really wacky ...
Do any of you use hand sanitizer? I noticed after using hand sanitizer, my lips became very bitter. I believe after I rubbed my hands with it; I without thinking, rubbed my lips. This is the only time I've noticed the bitterness, so I'm contributing it to the hand sanitizer. I'm going to watch my pattern and see if this happens after using that. After using, taste your hands, and if it's the same taste; that's where the bitterness is coming from. Hope this helps! :)
If any of you clean your computer with an air kit (like Dust Off), you may be spraying chemicals onto your keys, then touching those keys with your fingers, and spreading those chemicals to anything you touch--including your face. I have experienced these symptoms and traced them back to this. Needless to say, I don't buy Dust Off anymore.
Best of luck to the rest of you!
Thank you! I wouldn't have thought of canned air. I never used it until yesterday and today, and today is when I noticed that my lips tasted bitter. And, now that I've read through these posts, I did indeed lick my keyboard. That's the taste, alright. Hope someone here has a solution for what works to rid residue from hands, lips. I'm going to try hand sanitizer and/or GooGone.
After reading your posts I looked down at my black lab next to me and remembered we just put the flea treatment drops on her last night.The last thing I did this morning before I left for work was pet her, and am betting that HAS to be it, for me at least. I do smoke, so on the drive to work I did smoke, and the bitter started @ 1 hour after I left home.
I would wager that 99% of the sufferers of this problem can/will trace the cause to a dust remover. Read on...

The 3M Dust Remover product has this on the label: "Dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue, resulting in a bad taste if transferred to the mouth. To remove dried spray, wipe with a cloth dampened with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water."

Even if you do not use dust removers at home, you may be exposed to it at work or after using another person's computer that has been "dusted" but not cleaned with alcohol/water afterwards.

Don't believe me? Lick your keyboard...lol
After taking calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for a few years I developed the same problem.  I only get the bitter taste if I put my fingers in my mouth or lick my lips.  I have been struggling with this for over a year.
I have never used canned air.
I have never used canned air.
It has to be the canned air - I used it for the first time yesterday and that is when I noticed the taste on my lips and fingers - I havent used canned air in years and have never had this issue before.
The number 1 culprit, for most of the people who’ve posted, seems to be Denatonium Benzoate, which seems to be the bitterest substance known to man.   From all the post’s I’ve read it can be in compressed air, commonly used to clean computer key boards, hand sanitizer, nail polish remover, and anti-lick products used for pets. A fair number of people claim they have the bitter taste but don’t use compressed air, HOWEVER they do use computers, which may have been cleaned, using compressed air, by another person.  Also, in my case and another person’s case, we claim to not using compressed air but have been using NEW computers. There’s little doubt in my mind that something like compressed air (or some product with Denatonium Benzoate in it) was used on the computers before whey went on the market.

I’ve been experiencing the bitter taste for 2 days, but I got the new computers about 2 weeks ago. Also, since I work in a veterinary hospital, I did use a “Yuck” spray on an animal to keep it from licking a raw spot. I haven’t checked the ingredients list yet, but I thought this might be a clue as someone else posted about a “Yuck” spray that they used on their pet.

Other things I’ve noticed, if you have a pet and you’ve applied a topical flea product recently, you may experience a bitter taste after petting them and then rubbing your mouth with your hand as the products tend to be VERY bitter. I’ve made the mistake of kissing my dog after applying the flea treatment and ended up with a very bitter tasting mouth. Unfortunately, I haven’t applied any flea products on my dog recently so I know it’s not that. Someone also posted that an excess of calcium + vitamin D can cause a bitter taste. Unfortunately, again, I live in Washington, which means little sun shine, which means I don’t absorb a lot of vitamin D.

So for me, I’m leaning toward the new computers and the “Yuck” spray.

For everyone else, I’m sorry and good luck.
I just tried the "Yuck" spray I listed above. IT TASTED SO GROSS I HAD TO BRUSH MY TEETH IMEDIATLY! Lucky for me, I have solved my bitter problem and won't be handling that stuff without gloves for now on. Interestingly enough, there isn't any Denatonium Benzoate in it at all. It contains rosemary (0.5%), water, and sodium bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate, AKA baking soda, tends to have a salty / bitter taste, although, to me the solution was all bitter and no salt! Likewise with rosemary, it is known for having a spicy bitter taste. Hope this will help!
After reading many many posts (so glad to know I'm not alone, although sorry so many also suffer from this) on what it could be, they finally got to something I can relate to, alcohol-based hand sanitizer.  I use it all day/every day at work!  Thing is, I've been doing this for a long time, years, and don't know why it would all of a sudden do it, but I bet that is what it is!  I will quick cold-turkey for a week and see what happens.  :)  Will let you know . . .

Thanks!
THANK YOU! for your comments about cans of air to clean your keyboard - I JUST tasted by keyboard and lo and behold it tasted EXACTLY like what I have been dealing with for months - the bitter taste on my fingertips that will not go away no matter how many times I rinsed my fingers - Oh my gosh - I am so relieved to get this figured out - at least for me that is the answer, so thank you again everyone for this posting!
Over the last couple of days I have been experiencing a really bad metallic taste on my skin. I noticed it when i was eating some finger foods [[chips, etc]] and it was all on my lips and fingers and on my hands as well, and the next day i noticed the taste had spread to my lower arm. Yes, i tasted my arm  T_T.. Its also on my finger nails as well.. I read through most of the comments above, and most of them are saying its more of a bitterly taste than a metallic taste. But its like i am constantly having a spoon in my mouth! This has been happening for about 4ish days now i think, and its driving me crazy!! After reading through the above comments though I am suspecting a few things that might be causing this::

1:: I took my dog to the vet 6 days ago and got him medication and a cream that he's supposed to use for 10 days, twice a day. Im really affectionate with him, always hugging and playing, so maybe it could be his medicine thats seeping into my skin or something some how??
2:: The weather has been all over the place lately - hot, cold, windy, rainy, muggy, just everything. I never used to sweat a lot, but lately; especially on a reeeally hot day, i am just constantly using deoderant spray. Im not a huge deo user, but lately iv just been going through a fair bit. Maybe i am over using this and im having a reaction? But this has been going on for well over a month now, so it has taken a while to kick in, yes?
3:: I read in one of the above journals that i have too much iron? At the end of July i got submitted into hospital for acute anemia and had to get 4 blood transfusions because i was basically on the brink of death i had lost so much blood. I was on almost a dozen different types of medication, one of those was iron tablets. But i went off all of those at the end of August and all im on now is the pill, but iv never had a problem with it before like this? Could it maybe be the new blood I acquired started to have an affect on my body now?

If anybody knows whats going on with me, i would appreciate any reply  ^-^
I've had the same soapy taste on my skin, but it seems to be centered around my hands and fingers. When I lick my finger, I then lick my lip and taste the same thing, then on my skin, too. It may sound strange, but has anyone ever tasted a doorknob? I ask because while some describe the taste as soapy, others describe the same taste as metallic. The taste gets on your hands when you touch something metal that is frequently touched by others or encounters sweat. The worn metal leaves a bitter taste on your hands and when you lick your fingers, the taste remains on your tongue and can remain for quite a while. You can get this taste from any metal that is in frequent contact with human skin (i.e. keys, doorknobs, handles). It should go away eventually. Try using gloves, or avoid touching metal directly with your hands, for a few days and see if you notice a difference.
Hi, just googled my issue & found this site....

My synopsis is I have had a bitter (one person said 'ink like') taste on my lips for the past 3 days.

I'm a 43 yo male and never had anything like this, I am sure it relates to a new EDT I purchased on Sunday.  Worn it 3 days and had taste several hours later each time, as though it's secreting something through my skin in response to it.

I am now wondering if it (and possibly other perfumes) contains this chemical Denatonium Benzoate which some enlightened individual has found.  I'm going to get onto the brand & boots as I'm 99.9 sure it's my problem
Just an update on my situ...

Not worn my new EDT for two days and I have had no bitter taste whatsoever.  I would say some of you need to look toward your perfumes as it is clearly my issue.

Having reverted to my usual brand of aftershave / EDT I have no bitter taste on my lips. Prev it was very noticable bitter, poison like taste, like hitting a brick wall noticable.

Please be aware I am not putting it on my lips or hands, it is some form or secretion coming from my lips and possibly skin when I wear that specific EDT.

ps I take no advantage in mentioning it's name but I'll say it was over £60, so you understand it isn't cheap rubbish ;-).  I have written to the brand / company and I'm on my way back to Boots at the weekend.
I have been experiencing a bitter taste on my fingers, hands, and lips for the past few days. I have not used the keyboard cleaner or compressed air that many have mentioned, but I do have a dog that from time to time has issues with her skin.
I recently purchased a bottle of DermCare -- and Anti-Itch Spray that is supposed to sooth an animal's hot spots or aid in the relief of pain and itching for minor issues. It does not mention anywhere that is has a bitter taste, or that you should wash hands quickly after using, etc. It only says it is a gentle non-stinging solution of Veterinary Strength.
At bedtime for the past few nights, I have been locating the areas she itches most, and applying the spray to those areas liberally - per instructions. And while it has helped with her itching, I've noticed that anything near where I sprayed now has an exceptional bitter taste that I can't even get off by vigorous washing. I had my husband taste my skin - a finger tip, the back of my hand, my face - all the same. Bitter. Almost a chemical taste. But anywhere where I had had clothes covering me, is perfectly fine. Like a shoulder, for instance. So, for anyone who has dogs and is chasing a mysterious terrible bitter taste - this could also be the culprit.
A common factor - the ingredients listed Denatonium Benzoate. This seems to be the common factor in this thread, even if caused by varying products containing the same chemical. :)

Now...I just wonder exactly how long before this wears off. And I'll be never using DermCare EVER again. Surely we can find something for her that will work just as well without causing my husband not to want to kiss me!!!

Top marks to Boots, the young Lady changed my EDT with a very sympathetic stance.  Swapper to a different brand and very happy, no bitter lips.

I wrote the the brand and had no acknowledgment or reply so are absolutely disgusted.

Whilst I saw no good in doing so, I really want people to be aware, so don't buy your beloved Gucci Pour Homme II this Christmas !!!
Unless you have a medical condition that you know about the bitter taste is a chemical reaction from an agent you have come in contact with as such 3M air spray. Yes this causes the bitter taste in your mouth the same way Jalapenos stays for days after you have cut them. You skin absorbs any type of chemical dry or wet within seconds of touching your skin. I had the same reaction at a football game with a air horn and then ate some nachos with the bitter taste through the jalapenos. Wash your hands with baking soda or try a citrus wash and sometimes this helps.
Yes your are right this is a chemical reaction from an agent you have come in contact which, mines is Lotion, Everytime i put on strawberry flavor lotion,I  experience a bitter taste on My lips. I have tried this out on other people and it affect them the same!  So check out your lotion! Oh, I put mines in the trash!
i too am having the bitter tast symptoms that will not go away. i instantly freaked out and searched and immediately found this. after reading other posts that suggest it being cleaning materials, i actually licked the keyboard to see if the taste was from it... and the taste WAS on the keyboard but about 20x worse! so, luckily, i believe it is from some type of cleaner. one has not been used on this keypad for quite some time, but the chemicals definitely linger. i hope this will be the same solution to the rest of you as well!
Whoever said above that it was from the compressed air is absolutely correct. Well at least it is for me. I have been walking around for the past month trying to figure out what the heck was causing that metallic taste on my fingers and lips. After finding this forum, the idea above struck me because about the time I decided to "air dust" my laptop is when the taste started happening. So I decided to check out the dude above' theory... I washed my hands and then licked them, nothing, touched my keyboard, boom, bitter taste. PROBLEM SOLVED... thank you mister...
I finally figured it out. It's hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial soaps.
Proctor & Gamble have confirmed Denatonium Benzoate is in Gucci Pour homme II

So it is definitely this chemical which is our common problem, it is just featuring in so many different products... Not a good thing !
Ok i agree with all  that told us that it was canned air. cause like last night i sprayed it accedentally doing it wrong and holding it the wrong way. this might have cause more chemicals to escape. causeing the laptop and anything that touches it to taste like chemicals
while i can't recall the last time i used canned air (3M or otherwise) i don't remember ever having this issue anytime i've used it...(i love Google btw...where else can you search for a weird issue and find TONS of others that have posted about the SAME exact thing!?)

anyway, like i said, it's been months since i've used can air and have never experienced this but it's funny (not 'haha' funny) that ppl started mentioning canned stuff b/c i did today and it did get on my hands...we got a lot of snow here overnight and my niece broke the nozzle on the HEET de-icer can so i fanaggled it to make it work and ofc the spray got on my socks (on my hands, not my feet...hey, i had to make several trips to get that darn car door open and snow/ice off) which ofc means it got on my hands..i didn't think anything of it and washed my hands several times afterward but you never know with that stuff right? well, the can doesn't say that there's a bittering agent or anything but this weird taste on my lips (i'm afraid to lick my arms/any other skin) and i don't want to lick/taste my fingers b/c it could be one other thing...

also today...my hands were dry (from the spray stuff and all the washing) so i used the closest lotion i could find...some gingerbread latte body souffle that my boss got for my daughter from walmart...my fingers still smell like gingerbread cookies so i know the lotion is still there...either way, i must have transferred one or both to my lips without realizing it as i'm sure i still have the residue of either (or both) on my hands.....so NOW i will go and scrub the dickens out of my hands and lips (ok, i guess i'll taste my arm too) and see what happens...
I've had this same thing for a long time, years.  It comes and goes, but I've never figured out why.  I have payed attention to what I'm doing at the time, using chemicals, sprays, canned air, cleaning products.  I've never had it happen during or after using something like that.  I can be doing nothing at all and suddenly my skin has this horrible taste. I can wash my hands, face, arms and it goes away for a very short time, then returns.  I work indoors, so I'm not getting doused with something from the skies.  It happens at work and at home, and other places.

I'm still hoping to find some sort of answer.  All doctors assume it is a taste in the mouth, that is not it, it's a taste on the skin!!  
Driving me crazy!!!
CANNED AIR!!
Yay, was getting scared thinking I had the symptoms of some horrible, unknown disease - Now that I think about it, the bitterness on my fingertips and lips just started in the last week, & a week ago I cleaned my laptop keys with canned air :)  Yay!!   Thanks, I feel soooooo much better
check this link, it happened to my aunt, you all may be inhaling chemicals from keyboard cleaner.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/1000873-bitter-taste-lips-compressed-air-cleaner.html
The apparent common denominator is Denatonium Benzoate. I have noticed this same metallic taste sporacidally. Today I used nail polish remover in a closed room. Later, I re-entered the room and stayed for awhile. Shortly thereafter, my lips tasted terrible. I googled for an answer and found this stream. So thankful. Yes, there is Denatonium Benzoate in my polish remover, and I've been inhaling it. I recall a similar taste after using hand sanitizer. Glad to have an answer.
Here is my 2 cents worth. I am not on any meds and I don't work for a chemical plant or anywhere near one that I know of.

SYMPTOMS:

The taste I have is not metallic, it's bitter. The taste is not on my skin or in my mouth or on my fingers, it's on my lips. In fact my lips have a slightly anesthetized feeling when I rub my tongue over them back and forth.

Food that passes through them and touches my lips taste bitter but not continually, it's like only a piece or portion of the morsel or spoonful or mouthful is bitter, not the whole piece, and it's usually as it enters my mouth, perhaps touching my lips.

THINGS TO RULE OUT:

I don't use compressed air so it's definitely not that. I have a latex keyboard cover and when I taste it, it's kind of bitter yes, but I've had it for a few years and my bitter lips taste only started yesterday.

THINGS TO RULE IN:

#1
Yesterday I cleaned the bathroom like never before and went wild with Vim Bathroom. It does not contain Den.Ben. I have used this product for about 7 years and have never noticed a problem. I used it intensely for about 45 minutes. I don't remember tasting bitter lips before this.

#2
Two days ago I bought a dishwasher and have touched about 6 of those power pacs. This one is Sunlight with oxi action. The warnings are strong and advise you to keep the bag closed tightly after use. Again no Den.Ben. I haven't had a dishwasher in several years and haven't used dishwasher detergent until two days ago.

#3
Yesterday I had company coming and noticed that I used my Lysol Disinfecting wipes more than I usually do to wipe the coffee table and kitchen counters. It also doesn't have Den.Ben. in it.

To add to the SYMPTOMS: section of my previous post.

I have noticed a strange combination of food finger lips tongue. My skin nor fingers taste bitter, however, when I touch food with my finger then lick my finger where I touched the food, it tastes bitter. As soon as the food residue is licked away, the bitter taste on my finger is gone. During this bitter taste sensation which lasts for seconds only, my tongue and lips tingle slightly which aids in intensifying the bitterness.
So I've been experiencing the same symptoms of the bitter taste on my fingers and lips. When I read about the computer duster theory, it all suddenly pieced together. I had cleaned my keyboard a couple of days ago with the computer cleaner. I asked my dad if he had been experiencing the bitter taste and he looked at me in shock because he had but had no clue why. I explained to him about the computer duster and then had a good laugh at how worried we were about the weird taste.
noticed bitter tasting lips recently; out of curiosity i tasted my arm and it's bitter as well.  don't take any meds exc a vitamin and ibuprofen occasionally. spend time outside but not an inordinate amount.  don't use canned air.   was really freaking out until i remembered that i got some "bitter yuck" spray to keep my dog from licking the furniture.  i've seen Denatonium Benzoate mentioned a lot on this forum but it's not specifically listed on the ingredients in the bitter yuck; it only lists "bittering agent."  would this still explain away the bitter skin and lips?  am i actuallly absorbing the bittering agent that i sprayed on the couch thru my skin?  but then it seems that my husband would have similar bitterness.   anyway, i'm just kind of happy to see that i'm not alone in this...
I just Googled because I noticed this bitter taste problem on my lips and skin this morning. I just used"Dust Off" canned air on my computer.....
If you can get a form fitting cover for your keyboards, I would recommend this, because you wouldn't have to use the compressed air on your keyboards at all any more.  Check the bottom of your keyboard for the make and model.  Then, get a form fitting plastic cover for the keyboard to keep the dust from getting so close to the keys.  It will also help keep the letter from wearing off the keyboard.  Anything you can do to find a way to keep from having to use the compressed air is the best thing you can do.  In the long run it will also save you some money.
I am a healthy as a horse 32 yr old woman...but I got the same problem as you all. My lips, hands and fingers taste as of I dripped them in nail polish remover.  I noticed it just about 2 weeks ago. I thought it might be the lotion I'm using on my hands so I stopped using lotion.  It makes no difference. Then I thought maybe I should wash my hands more often so I wash my hands every chance I get. Even if I don't touch anything, give it a 5 min and it's back. I am so worried something is wrong with me. But I'm relieved that I'm not the only one dealing with this thanks to your posts.  I don't take any medications not even birth control. I eat healthy and exercise 6 days a week. I know it has nothing to do with personal and oral hygiene, or dust remover sprays or lotions.  Wish someone would look into it from scientific and medical angle.  Thanks for the posts though.  It helped a ton.
You guys I just turned 13 and this happend to me! I have no idea what it is. You guys dont realize that if you fingers taste bad and your putting them on your keyboard. You keyboard is going to taste bad. Lol. WTF is wrong with me? My lips and my hands taste like pen ink.
It's chem trails idiots...they are preserving the females for 2012 it is mandatory that females survive even if gays have more e than t and estrogen is the main factor. i am no conspiracy nut but they have found ways to wipe out males instead of females and vice versa. who is more important?...lick those bitter fingers... you will be saved unfortunately i am a guy without a vaccine so i wil perish...love life as much as i do boys. Nachos, wings, jerky, beer, snowboarding, pissing your name in the snow.
Canned air!!!!  I think that's it!  I just cleaned my computer keyboard yesterday and that is when this started!  I noticed when I washed my hands it seemed to go away for a few minutes and then BAM there it was again.  Oh I am so relieved!  I thought something horrible was happening.
I have the same bad taste and i realized it's only when i am at work. I have never sprayed my keyboard with that. but there are always other people in my office so i think that is what it is. I just read the bottle "dried liquid spray may leave a bitter residue, resulting in a bad taste if transferred to the mouth". It is the 3m brand. So glad i found this page and figured this out it was driving me crazyy! =]
i have a chese pain after i use the pifict duster

I was really upset when I figured out it was from the 3M canned air spray. I went to their website and they suggested using a mixture of 50/50 alcohol and water mix to wipe off your keyboard. I didnt have rubbing alcohol and so I used witch hazel on cotton swabs.  It also suggested drinking milk or eating chocolate if any gets in your mouth.  I had the taste very strongly on my fingers, so I rubbed my hands in chocolate syrup - that didnt work.  Then I had an onion/water soup type mixture.  I soaked my hands in that for about 15 min and it took the nasty taste away.  I was very disturbed to find out what caused this.  I spoke to an attorney about the possiblity of seeking legal recourse - I dont think it is at all appropriate for 3M to put this into their cans.  Today the taste is no longer on my hands nor on my computer.  But, if it comes back, I am definitely going to email 3M and complain.  Has anyone contacted 3M? Or feel like your damages are severe enough to file a law suit?
I am just reading this article from 2 years ago and totally agree with innanni. I just used a "canned air" product to clean my keyboard yesterday and noticed that my fingertips were bitter (nothing else was bitter except the finger tips). Washed my hands several times and it kept coming back. Would disappear at home (obviously since I was not using the keyboard at work) and reappeared today. I just clorox'ed the keyboard and problem solved! DEFINITELY THE CANNED AIR! the label says it contains a bittener as well. Thanks!
Get a grip!  This is not an injury and we don't have to sue just because we can!
I'm reading these old posts and am so relieved!  I bought a can of the 3m air spray about a month ago and this started after that, although I wouldn't have known the cause if I hadn't seen these posts.  It is a nasty taste, but harmless (to my knowledge) and I'm glad to know others have this so I'm not worried about it anymore.
The reason your post caught my attention is because I, too, have to take a thyroid supplement.  I had Graves Disease and had radiation to remove my thyroid, so will supplement for the rest of my life.  I'm not sure if maybe that drug interaction is possibly causing the taste?  At any rate, it doesn't hurt us, just annoying.  I actually moved my can of 3M last night, and the taste came back today briefly!
I DO NOT USE CAN AIR, MY DIET HAS NOT CHANGED OR ANY SOAPS OR CLEANERS BUT I HAVE THIS BITTER SALTY TASTE ON MY LIPS AND SKIN.  i HAD MY HUSBAND TASTE MY HAND AND HE GOT THE SAME TASTE I GET.  HE DID NOT HAVE THE TASTE I HAVE.
Have the same problem recently. Found out it is the antibacterial hand gel that i have been using the last few days while my girlfriend has been in the hospital.
I recently started having these same symptoms...and after reading the posts, I realized that the bitter agent in the canned air may not just be limited to keyboard cleaners. I recently got a new puppy and have been using Pet Corrector -- canned air to correct any unwanted behavior.

I stopped using it, so I wonder how long it will take for the bitter taste to go away.
Aaagh! I just started experienceing this in the last week. I thought I'd do a search and figured I wouldn't find any information, that I would be the only one! I am amazed at how many people have it. I am retired and don't go anywhere except to the store and the gym. Boring I know. HOWEVER...I just bought a can of 3M Dust Remover! I am now going to clean my keyboard and hopefully it will help. I don't know how dificult it will be to remove any traces, or how long it will take to wear off my fingers and lips, but it does seem to be the common denominator. Has anyone else cleaned their keyboards and hasd the taste go away? I will definitely keep you posted on what happens. It is kind of terrifying to think about what could possibly be going on in your body if this isn't the solution...
I cleaned my keyboard with a damp washcloth with soap, then an antibacterial wipe a couple of times. It has come off, and the bitter taste is has gone from my lips and is wearing off my fingers. I'm on day 3 and it is definitely not as bitter as it was! Yay! I'm guessing in a few more days it will be completely gone. Whew!  I don't know what was worse...thinking that I was going to be the only one in existence who was having this problem, or reading all of the posts and thinking that it is some kind of untreatable malady! For me, 3M was the culprit!
Just started to experience the bitter taste when licking my lips - had a suspicion it may have been the anti-bacterial hand wash I used earlier - and reading through these comments, it seems that is the culprit.  Back to using soap for me!
Thank you all so much for your comments here!  I've been experiencing this gross, bitter taste on my fingers for the past couple days and it's been driving me crazy.  After reading all of these comments, I realized it was definitely caused by the keyboard cleaner I used earlier in the week.  So, so relieved to know where it came from.
Sorry, but I have no canned air at all. I have been fascinated reading everyone's replies. My bitter taste on my lips started just two days ago. When I first noticed it, the only thing different in my life was that I used a new cup my daughter-in-law had given me for Christmas. It was one of those reusable coffee mugs. I thought maybe it was something on the soft, plastic lid that made my lips have that strange taste. As time goes on, however, I am doubting that the taste would linger this long. I did notice a couple of posts indicated the use of thyroid medication. I, too, use generic synthroid. However, not everyone falls into that category either. I hope someone has a good answer for us all.
Viewing 1-200 comments: