Bleeding toenails
HI to all bleeding folks: your condition which include bleeding under the toenails is called subungual hematoma and the most common cause of this problem is believe it or not pressure at the tip of the toe or toenail by a shoe , either by the tip of it or by a narrow shoe pushing the foot from medial to lateral or compessing the foot. First you should put your bare foot over a white paper and trace the outline of your foot and see what shape it has, second put your actual shoes over the outline and many times you will see what type of foot you are trying to fit into what size of shoe, you would be amazed at how narrow shoes are and how different our perception of this is. Secondly you should see the height of the toe box of the area of the shoe that covers your toes and see if you have any deformities such as hammer toes (contracted digits ) or toes that are excessivley long (x rays may help here) , one toe beign too long may cause abnormal pressures on other digits and contractures of adjacent digits, that may increase the pressure at the tip of certain toes and cause bleeding under the toenails , thirdly keep an eye on the intake of NSAIDS such as aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen motrin, etc and any anticoagulants that may increase bleeding as well as any other medications and supplements such as garlic, gingseng, ginger, ginko biloba and vitamin E. I had a patient that had spontaneous bleeding under the toenails right after dialysis , it just happened once but scared the patient enough to seek help. Hope it helps. DR G  

This discussion is related to spontaneous bleeding under toe nails.
Thank you Dr. G for this explanation.  My podiatrist did say that it was hematomas, however, I live in a tropical climate where I wear open toed shoes/flip flops 98% of the time.  After the first episode, I had even cut off my toe nails altogether, and since then have shied away from closed toe shoes purposely.  It has since re-occurred on 1 toe, instead of both this time.  But is still actively bleeding.  The only thing I take is a multi-vitamin almost every day (when I don't forget). Very interesting.  Thanks, again, for your comments.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.