Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Blisters Sometimes Bloody and Pus-filled Pimples On Buttocks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi.  I have had these blisters/pimples on both my butt cheeks for sometime now (about 5 years).  They are red, "blistery," painful, and sometimes discharge pus, blood, or a combination of both.  They come and go.  Sometimes there is no pain and no "bumps."  Other times, they are pretty painful, especially when I sit.  They come and go probably every week or so.  They also leave scars and the area where they infect is darker than the surrounding area.  I know this isn't due to contracting it from a partner, because I haven't slept with anyone.  But I do have a hunch of what this is.  I think its some form of herpes, but am not sure.  I don't even know how I would contract it since I have not had any sexual encounter with anyone.  I have heard of the toilet seat theory, but I truly don't know.  I am going to see my doctor soon and hopefully he will diagnose it.  

I read that stress can cause these "bumps."  The article was talking about herpes and other skin disease.  I do find that when I am stressed (because I'm a student) that the bumps tend to emerge.  

If it turns out to be herpes, what will happen?  Will the doctor prescribe some type of medicine?  What kind of solutions are there?  
Also, they the bumps itch. I've used Google and the pictures I saw of herpes don't really look simliar to what I have, which makes me feel a little better. But what could be causing this?
Are they like cysts?  Can you feel them under the skin?
I don't think so. The bumps do go away, but they appear again some place nearby usually within centimeters or so.  
Have you ever gotten them anywhere else?  Goggle Hidradenitis Suppurativa and look at some pics.  Not all cases are that bad though!  Let me know.
No. It doesn't look the same.
Ok.. sorry.. I would go have it checked out.
HI:
There are different strains of herpes (most common 1 & 2) and they look and affect you differently.  Do you feel sick when the lesions erupt, like you are getting a flu or other illness? Try to remember all that you can of what precedes these outbreaks and any patterns that you have noticed so that you can tell the dr.  It may help him diagnose you. Suggest to ask for a viral culture; done by swiping a q-tip over the open lesions and it will tell them if it is definitely positive for either of these viruses. Today there are anti-viral medications that can help you if it is positive.  It is important to minimize outbreaks so that you do not increase your chances of damaging the nerves that are involved... of course it may not be this, but there are many things that you listed that has me agreeing that it could be a possibility. re: pictures- your case may be less severe and not look like others so it is not always a sure way of identification . everyone is so different and pics are usually of the most common presentation.  And if you have herpes type 1  virus, it comes from the strain that causes cold sores; not always sexually transmitted. Stress has been linked to lowering immune system functioning that can lead to a flare up of infections/illness etc.  My advice is definitely to see a healthcare practicioner . Cultures and immune system blood tests may be a good  idea. Discuss ways on how to keep your immune levels up and you may see less outbreaks.  Good luck!
Boils and carbuncles are painful, pus-filled bumps that form under your skin when bacteria infect and inflame one or more of your hair follicles.

Boils usually start as red, tender lumps. The lumps quickly fill with pus, growing larger and more painful until they rupture and drain. Although some boils disappear a few days after they occur, most take about two weeks to heal.

Boils can occur anywhere on your skin, but appear mainly on your face, neck, armpits, buttocks or thighs — hair-bearing areas where you're most likely to sweat or experience friction. Sometimes boils occur in clusters called carbuncles. Although anyone can develop boils and carbuncles, people who have diabetes, a suppressed immune system, or acne or other skin problems are at increased risk.

You can usually care for a single boil at home, but don't attempt to lance or squeeze it — that may spread the infection. Call your doctor if a boil or carbuncle is extremely painful, lasts longer than two weeks or occurs with a fever. In that case, you may need antibiotics or surgical drainage to clear the infection of boils and carbuncles.

Thanks for all the advice and information. I am definitely seeing my doctor soon.

As a note, the bumps don't usually appear when I'm relaxed (stress-free).  But when I have work to do or if something pressing is on my mind, they tend to appear.

Thanks again.
I saw that someone else on here told you about hidranitis suppurative.  I have it and if I look at pictures on the internet, mine looks different, only because I don't have it as bad as others.  Everything that you described in your first post is what I have been going through for about 14 years (I'm only 29).  They do tend to be worse when you're stressed, when I was pregnant it was absolutely AWFUL!!!  If they are more predominant when you are stressed then I would definetly look into hidranitis suppurative.  Ask your doctor about it.  Don't go by the pictures, those are usually worst case scenerios!  Good luck to you.

Shell
hi,
i have been suffering from a similar kind of problem and used to dread that it is a skin cancer or something until i visited a skin specialist. N guess wht my eruptions coincide with my monthly period..roughly get 1 eruption close to my period. doctor said it was some hormonal problem and suggested wash of area with warm water, washing underwear with bar soap (strictly no detergent) etc.. it had subsided a lot but recently has started all over again... just check if your blisters hv something to do with your monthly period.. hope this helps.//
Hi I have the same kind of issue and doctors can't figure out what's wrong I was wondering if you had any luck I have had this issue since I was about ten and I am now 22 I have seen doctor after doctor and no one can seem to help
A related discussion, blisters on buttocks was started.