Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Blisters on toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Blisters on toes

i've have been experiencing blister like symtoms (symptoms) on 2 toes on my left foot and 1 to 2 toes on my right foot for the past four months. on one toe it has turned black and blue and has not changed for about 3 months. it started off with this toe and was very itchy. they don't itch at this time. i have seen a medical dr, podiatrist, and dermatologist. they took a biopsy of the area and i am negative for sjogrens, lupus, raynauds, and they said no abnormal cells were found. my dermatologist said it is a cold vasculitis and has me place topicort on the toes, wrap them in seran wrap with coban wrap over top, wear heavy socks and ugg shoes. the blisters did stop somewhat but they are still there. i live in nebraska and the weather has been really cold and he said that it will take til it warms up before it will completely go away. when i tan in a tanning bed it makes it feel a lot better and the blisters don't hurt. do i need to have some other tests done? i am 29, in good health-work out, no medical conditions known of. no history of anything in my family.
Hey,
I am not sure how to go about answering this, but I will try. First and foremost, if they consider it some type of vasculitis, then you should get a new rheumatologist if you don't already have one for followup and continuing monitoring. I cannot find hardly anything on cold vasculitis. Does it have another name too? I wish I could be of some help, but there are conditions that do not always show up on bloodwork even if they are autoimmune. Please take care and keep your feet safe :)

'Blisters are usually caused by injury to the skin from heat or from friction, which create a tear between the epidermis—the upper layer of the skin—and the layers beneath. When this happens, the surface of the skin remains intact, but is pushed outwards as serum seeps into the newly created space between the layers.

Short periods of intense rubbing can cause a blister, but any rubbing of the skin at all can cause a blister if it is continued for long enough. Blisters are most common on the hands and feet, as these extremities are susceptible while walking, running, or performing repetitive motions. Blisters form more easily on moist skin than on dry or soaked skin, and are more common in warm conditions.

Sometimes, the skin can blister when it comes into contact with a cosmetic, detergent, solvent or other chemical; this is known as contact dermatitis. Blisters can also develop as a result of an allergic reaction to an insect bite or sting.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister

Most blisters heal naturally and do not require medical attention. As new skin grows beneath the blister, the fluid contained within it will be slowly reabsorbed by the body and the skin on top will dry and peel off.

The unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to infection. This means that you should try to keep blisters intact and unbroken in order to avoid infection. Try not to pierce a blister with a needle, but allow it to break on its own once the skin underneath has healed.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.