Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Blood Blister\Boil behind Ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Blood Blister\Boil behind Ears

I have been getting blisters\boils behind both ears. Usually not both at the same time but have had at lest one side infected  every couple of months for the last year. The blister appears right behind where my ear lobe attaches to my face. It is not on the ear itself but adjacent to the ear lobes. I never have pain on or in my ear. I would guess these boils appear to be a blood blisters. There is also a white discharge which smells really bad if I rub my finger along the back of my ear. This discharge appears before the blister breaks. I end up massaging the blister until it starts leaking a pinkish liquid at first then a bright red blood mixture. After I massage the boil releasing most of the liquid inside the boil will stay down but does not entirely go away. But after a week or two the blister returns. I've been recently cleaning my ear with 91% isopropol alcohol. I was thinking its some type of bacteria that is causing an infection. The alcohol seemed to be working but I just noticed that the boil is again filling up with liquid. The boil when big appears dark purple at one side of the boil. What could this be?
I've had a similar thing in the past.  It doesn't hurt.  It gradually gets bigger.  it's full of blood/pus and v. smelly when eventually squeezed.  i tried something from the chemist that dried the boil.  it was a white liquid.  try also not to "play" with it - just makes it more angry!

'Blisters are usually caused by injury to the skin from heat or from friction, which create a tear between the epidermis—the upper layer of the skin—and the layers beneath. When this happens, the surface of the skin remains intact, but is pushed outwards as serum seeps into the newly created space between the layers.

Short periods of intense rubbing can cause a blister, but any rubbing of the skin at all can cause a blister if it is continued for long enough. Blisters are most common on the hands and feet, as these extremities are susceptible while walking, running, or performing repetitive motions. Blisters form more easily on moist skin than on dry or soaked skin, and are more common in warm conditions.

Sometimes, the skin can blister when it comes into contact with a cosmetic, detergent, solvent or other chemical; this is known as contact dermatitis. Blisters can also develop as a result of an allergic reaction to an insect bite or sting.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister

Most blisters heal naturally and do not require medical attention. As new skin grows beneath the blister, the fluid contained within it will be slowly reabsorbed by the body and the skin on top will dry and peel off.

The unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to infection. This means that you should try to keep blisters intact and unbroken in order to avoid infection. Try not to pierce a blister with a needle, but allow it to break on its own once the skin underneath has healed.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.