Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Blood Vessels Breaking in Toes and fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have a problem of blood vessels breaking in my toes and fingers.  This happens about once or twice a month. It almost always occurs when I am doing house work or yard work, moving fast to get the job done. It does not happen every time I do those two things. I know immediately when it happens because it is painful for about a minute or two, after that the pain is gone and I am not bothered by it at all but am left with a bruised reddish area.  This last week it happened again on my middle toe. This time much worst then any other.  The pain continued for three days and I was limping .  My toe was totally bruised and red and the reddness went up on the top of my foot about two inches. This has been happening to me for about 15 years (I am 60). I am a very healthy female, not overweight. I was diagnosed about 20 years ago with fibromyalgia but have controlled that with live style changes and a vegetarian diet and I live a full and happy live. The only medication I take is a low dose of high blood pressure medication, my high blood pressure being hereditary. The blood vessels breaking would not be a side effect of medication as I've only been on the medication for 3 years and have had this happening to me for about 15 years. My concern is that this could happen in my head.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The various possible reasons are low platelet count, clotting disorders, fragile spider veins, deep vein thrombus, deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K, or liver disease. It could also be due to pressure urticaria. Menopause and resultant hormonal changes could be another cause. Please discuss with a gynecologist and check if menopause is the cause for your symptoms. Otherwise, you would need to get the blood tests done to rule out other causes. Take care!