Blue dots under skin
I have many small blue dots under the skin on my fingers , forearms and upper arms, all on the under side. What are they and the possible causes. They very in size from 1mm to about 3 mm.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Blue dots under the skin could be bruises since they vary in size. Deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K could be the cause. They could also be fragile spider veins. The spots could also be petechiae, which are pinpoint-sized red dots under the surface of the skin. They can result from autoimmune disorders, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, bone marrow disorders such as leukemia, inflammation of the veins, as a side effect of certain medications.
The other possible reasons are low platelet count, clotting disorders, fragile spider veins, deep vein thrombus, deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K, a liver disease or certain cancers. It could also be due to pressure urticaria.
You need a comprehensive investigation taking all these points in consideration. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please discuss this with your doctor and get yourself investigated accordingly.  Do let me know if there is any thing else you want to know. Take care!

What type of doctor would I go to for this problem? At first I thought of going to a dermatologist but now am unsure.
A related discussion, Green dot under skin was started.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.